Degree Programs

Prospective Students/ Graduate Admissions - FAQs

Q:  What qualifications do I need to apply to graduate and professional programs at WSSU?

At minimum, you need to hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Most graduate programs also have their own set of admissions criteria, such as standardized test scores.

Q:  I am in the process of sending off my test scores and it is asking for a school code. What is the school code?

If you are sending your GRE test scores the school code is 5909. If you are sending your MAT test scores the school code is 2661.

Q:  Can I submit GRE, GMAT or MAT scores that I took over 10 years ago?

No. If the program to which you are applying requires a test score, the scores must not be older than 5 years.

Q:  How do I find the prerequisite courses required for the graduate program of my interest?

Prerequisite course information is program specific information. This information will normally not be found on the Graduate School's website. However, this information may be found on the graduate program website, graduate program brochure, and in the Graduate Catalog.

Q:  How do I apply to graduate and professional programs?

You must first decide which program is of interest and must ascertain if the program is degree-seeking, post-baccalaureate, licensure or certificate, and the admissions requirements. This information is found on the Graduate and professional and program specific web sites.

Q:  What is the difference between official and unofficial transcripts?

Official transcripts contain the official seal of the university previously attended mailed in a sealed stamped envelope. Unofficial transcripts are copies requested by a student with no official seal.

Q:  I'm considering transferring from another university to complete my graduate work at WSSU. Will all my classes transfer?

Up to six (6) credit hours may be transferred in; however, this is at the discretion of the Graduate Program.

Q:  I have completed course work at WSSU in the past. Do I need official transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions at WSSU?


Q:  What if my admission documents are sent to your office at different times than my application?

Your documents are filed temporarily and will be matched with your application once it is submitted. Admission documents are held up to one year only, with the exception of the GRE which will be held five years. If the credentials are sent after your application, they will be matched to your file. We do ask, however, that you try to submit all required credentials in a complete packet.

Q:  What is the cost?

Tuition and fee schedules change annually. Updated information can be found on the Student Accounts website.

Q:  Is financial assistance available?

Financial Assistance is available to graduate students. Check the Graduate and professional program specific web sites for financial opportunities. Federal Student Loans are also available if requested in an appropriate timeframe.

Q:  How do I check my admission status?

Checking your admission status is an online process. On the Prospective Graduate Students page you will see the "Check Admission Status Link." Please use your university assigned ID number (not your social security number) and your pin number which is your birth date (mmddyy) to perform this check.

Q:  Can my application be considered before I submit my financial support documents?

Your financial support documents are not required in order for us to make an admission decision. Your application will be reviewed with or without your financial documents. You may submit them after you receive notice of admission, if you wish. However, and I-20 cannot be issued for any admitted student until we have received his or her valid financial support documents. 

Q:  Am I eligible for admission without a GRE/MAT/GMAT score?

Since this is a program specific requirement, please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator of the program you are applying to.

Q:  Where do I send GRE and TOEFL scores? Can I send you a copy of my scores?

Please send your official GRE and TOEFL scores to the Office of Admissions.

Q:  When will you send my I-20?

An I-20 can be issued only after 1) you have submitted all of your required application materials, including valid financial support documents, and 2) you have been officially admitted. Once you are admitted, your I-20 will typically be mailed to you. When it is mailed, you will receive an email notifying you of your SEVIS number and tracking number.

Q:  I sent you all of my documents but the online application status check says you didn't get them. Why?

Applicants should allow five days from the time we receive your mailed application and/or supporting documents for your status to update online. We will notify you in the event that your application is incomplete or further action is required of you.

Q:  Can I email or fax my documents to you?

Scanned, faxed, or photocopied documents are not considered valid for admission consideration. Personal statements/essays can be emailed to our office; they can be sent as an email attachment. Personal statements/essays can also be submitted through the online application form or by paper copy mailed to the office along with other application materials.

Q:  I sent you all of my documents. However, I recently received a missing document letter from your office. Why?

There may be some delay in processing all documents if they are not sent in as a complete packet. It is better to send a complete packet rather than sending in separate documents. Separate documents are matched to existing applications. This may take longer.

Q:  If I applied last year and was denied admission, when can I reapply?

You must wait one year before reapplying.

Q:  If I applied last year, will I have to pay another application fee?

Yes. Your application fee is only good for one year.

Q:  Do I need to return my "Intent to Enroll"?

Yes. It is required so that we can open a matriculation record in order for you to register.

Q:  If I do not return the "Intent to Enroll", what happens?

You will not be permitted to register.

Q:  Is New Graduate Student Orientation mandatory?

Yes. It is mandatory for all new graduate students.

Q:  I received a missing document letter but I have submitted all required application documents?

Perhaps the missing document letter was sent before all of your documents were received by the Office of Admissions. To double check before resubmitting, check your application status online.

Q:  I have submitted the test waiver form. What is the next step?

Please check with the Graduate Program Coordinator to see if the request has been approved or denied.

Q:  I applied for admission last year and would like to apply for admission this year. What steps should I take?

Complete an application for admission for the current year in which you wish to enter and pay the non-refundable application fee.

Q:  I applied to the wrong program, how can I correct my application?

Please contact the office of admissions

Q:  I have been accepted to the program, when can I register for classes?

As soon as you have been advised by your Graduate Program Coordinator as to what classes to take, you will be permitted to register.

Q:  I sent my application and the supporting documents to the Graduate Program Coordinator but the Office of Admissions has not received them, what should I do?

You should contact the Graduate Program Coordinator to have your documents transmitted to the Office of Admission.

Q:  I ordered my transcripts but the Office of Admissions has not received them?

Contact the university to see when and if your transcripts were mailed.

Q:  When do I receive my Banner ID?

Your Banner ID will be included in the letter of admission

Q:  What password should I use with my Banner ID?

Your date of birth should be used in this order month/day/year.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2016 Winston-Salem State University