Hazards - Man Made
Emergency Management Director
University Program Associate
Follow the steps below in case of fire:
- Upon discovering a fire immediately sound the building's fire alarm and alert other occupants. The nearest fire alarm is _____________________________________.
- Call Campus Police at 336-750-2900; give your name, department and location of fire.
- If the fire is small you may fight it with a fire extinguisher. Be sure you are using the proper extinguisher. The nearest fire extinguisher is located ___________________. When in doubt, just get out.
- If the fire is large, very smoky or spreading rapidly evacuate the building immediately. Inform others in the building who may not have responded to the alarm to evacuate immediately.
- When you evacuate, do not stop for personal belongings or records. Leave immediately using exit stairways not elevators.
- Evacuate a safe distance from the building and stay out of the way of emergency personnel. Do not return to the building until instructed to do so by Campus Police or your Building Coordinator.
- Do not walk through or stand in a smoke cloud. Notify either Campus Police of firefighters on the scene if you suspect someone may be trapped inside the building.
Bomb threats usually occur by telephone. Try to keep the caller on the line as long as possible. The person receiving a bomb threat should remain calm and attempt to obtain as much information as possible from the caller. Call Campus Police at 336-750-2900 giving your name, location and telephone number. Inform them of the situation including any information you may have as to the location of the bomb, time it is set to explode and the time you received the call. Inform your Supervisor and/or Department Head. Campus Police in conjunction with the Building Coordinator will be responsible for building evacuation. If you should spot a suspicious object, package, etc., report it to Campus Police. Under no circumstances should you touch, tamper with or move a suspicious package in any way.
If instructed to evacuate move a safe distance away from the building. If inclement weather conditions exist you may move to another building. Do not re-enter the building until instructed that it is safe by Campus Police or your Building Coordinator.
The following steps should be taken in the event of a chemical spill:
- Call Campus Police at 336-750-2900.
- Do not attempt to clean up the spill. WSSU’s Health and Safety Officer will clean up the spill or contact a hazardous materials team if needed.
- Stay away from the spill. If the spill if producing odors or vapors leave the area.
- The Health and Safety Officer will determine whether the building needs to be evacuated.
- If instructed to evacuate, move a safe distance away from the building. Do not re-enter the building until instructed to do so by Campus Police or your Building Coordinator.
Procedure if a gas cylinder begins leaking or if you suspect a natural gas leak.
Confine the fumes by shutting the room door. Call Campus Police at 336-750-2900 and give your name, department, and location of the leak. Activate the building's fire alarm to begin evacuation. Evacuate to a safe area away from the building. Do not return to the building until instructed that it is safe to do so by Campus Police or your Building Coordinator. Do not walk through or stand near the leak. For odor complaints call Campus Police.