Human Resources

Human Resources Leave Administration

Winston-Salem State University recognizes that it is important for employees to have time away from work. In this section you will find the University’s brief description of our leave programs and policies, including annual leave, sick leave, community service, holiday, adverse weather, compensatory leave, and much more! Please reference your leave policies under your employee classification as delineated below.

Vacation and Sick Leave

Vacation leave is credited to employees who are in pay status (working, on paid leave or on worker's compensation leave) for one-half or more of the regularly scheduled work days and holidays in the pay period. Full-time permanent, probationary, trainee and time-limited employees are eligible for sick leave at the rate of 8 hours per month (96 hours per year).

Full-time, permanent, probationary, trainee and time-limited employees are granted leave based on the length of total State service as shown in Table I: Vacation Leave Credits. (Permanent part-time employees who work half-time or more are granted prorated leave.)

Vacation Leave  |  Sick Leave 

Note: Vacation leave in excess of 240 hours (prorated for permanent part-time employees) on December 31 of each year shall be converted to sick leave.

This chart reflects accrual rates as of January 1, 2011.

Table I - Vacation Leave Credits

Years of Total
State Service

Hours Accrued
Each Month

Hours Accrued Each Year

Days Accrued Each Year

Less than 5 years

9 hrs. 20 min.



5 but less than 10 years

11 hrs. 20 min.



10 but less than 15 years

13 hrs. 20 min.



15 but less than 20 years

15 hrs. 20 min.



20 years or more

17 hrs. 20 min.



Hours of Work and Overtime Compensation

The payment of premium time and one-half rates in form of monetary compensation or time off is required for hours worked in excess of 40 within a week, with exception of those considered exempt.

No SPA employee whose position is designated as exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act from overtime compensatory provisions shall be paid overtime.

SHRA Overtime Compensation Presentation  |   WSSU Compensatory Time Bank Form

Vacation and Sick Leave (EHRA Non-Faculty)

EHRA Non-Faculty Employees are entitled to 24 days of vacation leave and 12 days of sick leave per calendar year. The amount of annual leave is adjusted proportionately for part-time employees in covered positions who work half-time (50% FTE) or more. Leave shall be earned on a monthly basis. The monthly earnings amount is equal to one-twelfth (1/12) of the annual leave accrual rate for each month the employee works or is on an approved leave with pay at least half the working days of the month.

The Chancellor, Provost, Deans and Directors of major centers who are classified as EHRA Non-Faculty, Tier 1 Senior Academic and Administrative Officers are entitled to 26 days of vacation leave and 12 days of sick leave per calendar year.

Vacation and Sick Leave Policy

Vacation and Sick Leave

Eleven/Twelve-month faculty is entitled to 24 days of vacation leave and 12 days of sick leave per calendar year. The amount of annual leave is adjusted proportionately for part-time faculty members in covered positions who work half time (50% FTE) or more. Leave is earned on a monthly basis. The monthly earnings amount is equal to one-twelfth (1/12) of the annual leave accrual rate for each month the faculty member works or is on an approved leave with pay at least half the working days of the month.

Note: Nine/Ten-month faculty do not accrue vacation or sick leave.

Faculty Serious Illness

Faculty members eligible for leave are those who do not accrue sick leave and are eligible to participate in the N.C. Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System or the UNC Optional Retirement Program.

The duration of leave includes a minimum of 60 calendar days of paid leave within a single academic semester, up to a maximum of one academic semester.

Serious Illness Policy - WSSU  |  Serious Illness Policy - UNC   Serious Illness Guidelines

Other Forms of Leave

The State Personnel Act provides that the State Personnel Commission shall establish a holiday schedule that shall not exceed 11 paid holidays per year except in those years in which Christmas Day falls on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, the schedule shall not provide for more than 12 paid holidays.

Leave without pay may be granted for illness, education purposes, vacation, or for any other reasons deemed justified by the agency head.

The University recognizes the importance of community involvement and encourages employees to participate in volunteer activities by providing flexibility in work schedules and paid leave opportunities. Community Service Leave is a paid time off program for participation in the educational process of children through the high school level and to support other community service volunteer activities for non-profit organizations.

The twenty-four hours (24) of paid leave shall be credited to each employee on January 1 of each year. New employees shall be credited with leave immediately upon their employment, prorated at two hours per month for the remainder of the calendar year.

Questions & Answers

Q. What types of organizations can be designated as an IRS 501(c)(3) agency?

A. The 501(c)(3) agencies are commonly referred to as "charitable organizations". The organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or education purposes, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals. The agency must operate as a non-partisan, non-profit organization.

Q. Can employees use Community Service Leave to volunteer time to work at their church?

A. All churches are designated as 501(c)(3) organizations; however, all services provided for a church might not meet the intent of the policy. The volunteer service for a church related community service project must somehow meet a service need of the State of North Carolina's schools, communities and citizens. For example, a church sponsored mission trip to Brazil to rebuild a church destroyed by an earthquake would not qualify; however, a church sponsored project to repair a home in Wilson, N. C. that was flooded by Hurricane Floyd, would qualify for community service leave. Also, qualifying service does not include activities designed to promote religious belief such as teaching or leading religious assemblies or in raising funds to support religious activities.

Q. Would volunteer time spent as a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) qualify for Community Service Leave?

A. Yes. A GAL is responsible for serving as a representative for children who are alleged to be abused, neglected or abandoned and who are involved in court proceedings. Any service that directly impacts the human service needs of children is considered eligible.

Q. If a new employee begins work on August 29, will they begin earning their 2 hours of prorated community service leave in August or September?

A. They would begin earning credit for community service leave in September. As with other benefits such as vacation leave and sick leave, employees must be in pay status for one-half or more of the regularly scheduled workdays and holidays in the pay period in order to earn benefits.

If you have been out of work at least three days to care for your spouse, child or parent who has a serious health condition and when you are unable to work because of your own serious health condition, you may qualify for FMLA leave. Call WSSU Human Resources Department for more information.

The Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) was adopted by Congress in 1993 to balance the demands of the workplace with the needs of employees and their families. The FMLA provides for twelve (12) work weeks of unpaid leave in any 12-month period for an eligible employee to use for the birth or adoption of a child, his/her own serious health condition or the serious health condition of a family member as described herein.

The Employee's Guide to The Family and Medical Leave Act   
FMLA General Presentation   Family Medical Leave Policy - UNC
Certification of Health Care Provider for
Family Member's Serious Health Condition
Certification of Health Care Provider for
Employee's Serious Health Condition
 Medical Leave-Return to Work Form  Request for Leave of Absence (Non-FMLA)
Certification of Qualifying Exigency Leave (Military)

Family Illness Leave is provided for an employee to care for the employee’s child, parent or spouse where that child, spouse or parent has a serious health condition. It is not provided for the employee’s illness.

The Family Illness Leave provides a limited extension of the benefits beyond the 12 weeks provided under the Family and Medical Leave Policy. Family Illness Leave does not run concurrently with Family Medical Leave. Eligibility for Family Illness Leave begins only after the Family Medical Leave benefit is fully exhausted.

The University has a voluntary “Shared Leave” program that allows one employee to assist another employee in the case of a prolonged medical condition that exhausts the employee’s available leave and would otherwise force the employee to be placed in leave without pay status, resulting in a loss of income.

An employee may donate leave, as outlined below, to an employee who has been approved to receive voluntary shared leave because of a medical condition of the employee or of a member of the employee’s immediate family that will require the employee’s absence for a prolonged period of time.

Under this policy, employees may use paid leave, leave without pay, or donated voluntary shared leave (for approved recipients only) for absences from work due to childbirth, adoption or foster care placement, or a serious health condition of an employee or an employee's spouse, child or parent.

An employee's job and benefits are protected while an employee takes leave under this policy, whether taken as vacation leave, sick leave, voluntary shared leave, leave without pay or any combination.

To participate in this program as a donor please complete the VSL Authorization to Donate Form. For those requesting shared leave please complete the VSL Request Form.

Leave shall be granted to employees of the State for certain periods of service in the uniformed services. No agent or employee of the State shall discriminate against any employee of the State or applicant for State employment because of their membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service or obligation for service in the Uniformed Services.

Full-time or part-time (half-time or more) permanent, probationary, trainee and time-limited employees are eligible for military leave.  

General Leave Policies- Leave Offsetting

The purpose of paid leave is to maintain the employee income, not enhance it. If employees work additional hours outside their normal schedule in a work week in which they also have scheduled or taken time off, the additional time worked "offsets" the time that the employee intended to cover with available leave.

Worker's Compensation

The State Government Workers' Compensation Program is administered and managed by the Office of State Human Resources. The purpose of the program is to ensure that all eligible employees who experience a work-related injury or illness receive appropriate medical care and equitable benefits as provided under the Workers' Compensation Act and the State Human Resources Policy.

The State is a self-insured employer and has contracted with a Third Party Administrator (TPA) to handle the workers' compensation claims of most employees. The TPA is responsible for all compensation and medical bill payments through a workers' compensation fund established by State agencies and universities and administered by the Office of the State Controller, in cooperation with the Office of State Human Resources.

The State Government Workers’ Compensation Program (SGWCP) was established in 1985 and is administered in the Office of State Personnel.  The purpose of the program is to provide benefits to employees who sustain job related injuries or contract occupational diseases during the course and scope of their employment.  Benefits are in the form of compensation for medical expenses and lost work time due to injury or illness.

All employees of the university are covered by the North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Act.  Any employee who suffers an accidental injury in the course of employment or contracts an occupational disease within the meaning of the Workers’ Compensation Act is entitled to medical attention at the expense of the university.  If applicable, the injured employee is also entitled to disability compensation, including a weekly compensation benefit for the time lost from work.

The North Carolina Industrial Commission established the rules and regulations under which the Workers’ Compensation Act is administered.  Determination of liability and all bills for payment as a result of the injury will be processed according to these rules and regulations.  In case where the university and the injured employee cannot agree on liability or compensation, the Commission will hold hearings.  Go to NC Industrial Commission website.

All Workers’ Compensation claims are handled by a Third Party Administrator (TPA) which is contracted by the state.  The TPA currently responsible for handling all WSSU claims is CorVel Corporation, located in Charlotte, NC.  The TPA is responsible for accepting or denying, processing, and monitoring claims.  CorVel is responsible to pay all medical benefits and compensation in accordance with the North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Act.  WSSU and CorVel try to provide the best possible medical care for injured employees to help them reach maximum medical improvement and return to work as soon as possible.

Disability:  In accordance with the Workers’ Compensation Act, no compensation will be paid for the first seven (7) calendar days of disability resulting from a compensable injury.  If the compensable injury results in a disability lasting more than 21 days, compensation will be paid from the date of disability.

An employee may use accumulated sick or vacation leave during the required waiting period to remain in a pay status before going on Workers’ Compensation leave and begin to draw weekly benefits.  An employee may also take leave without pay before receiving Workers’ Compensation weekly benefits.

If unable to work after the seven-day waiting period, an employee will begin to receive sixty-six and two-third percent (66 2/3%) of their weekly average earning. 

Continuation of Benefits: When you, as a State employee, are injured on the job or if you contract an occupational disease and are placed on workers’ compensation leave, you are taken off payroll and placed in a leave without pay – workers’ compensation leave status.  While in this pay status there will be no deductions made from your workers’ compensation weekly benefits.  If you have payroll deductions made from your regular pay such as credit union, loans, etc., it is your responsibility to take care of these deductions while on workers’ compensation leave.  While on workers’ compensation leave you are eligible for continuation of the following benefits:

Vacation/Sick:   You will continue to accumulate vacation and sick leave to be credited to your account for use upon return to work.  If you do not return to work, vacation and sick leave accumulated during the first twelve months of workers’ compensation leave will be paid in a lump sum along with other unused vacation credit which was earned prior to the injury.

Hospitalization Insurance:  While on workers’ compensation leave, you are in pay status and will continue coverage under the State’s health insurance program.  The State will pay the portion of the monthly premium covered under the State health plan for employee only.  You will be responsible for all premiums for any dependent coverage or additional costs applicable to their coverage. 

Performance Increases:   Upon reinstatement, your salary will be computed based on the last salary plus any legislative increase to which you are entitles. Any performance increases which would have been given to you had you been at work may also be included in the reinstatement salary, or it may be given on any payment date following reinstatement.

Longevity:  While on workers’ compensation leave status you will continue to receive longevity credit and, if eligible shall receive annual payments.

Retirement Service Credit:  As a member of the State Retirement System, you do not receive retirement service credits while out on workers’ compensation.  You may purchase credits for the period of time out on approved leave of absence upon return.  The Retirement System will provide a statement of the cost and a date by which purchase must be made by.

Other employment benefits:    An employee state health insurance plan monthly contribution will be paid by the employer while on Workers’ Compensation leave.  It is the employees responsible to continue his/her dependent coverage monthly contribution and it must be paid directly by the employee.

An employee will not receive retirement credits while on Workers’ Compensation leave.  An employee who is a member of the retirement system may purchase credit for the period of time on an approved leave of absence. 

If you have questions about your workers compensation claim, call the University Workers’ Compensation Administrator, Camilla Norris at (336) 750-2157.

Notify your supervisor if you receive a work related injury, even if you do not require medical treatment. The supervisor has the responsibility of ensuring that the employee receives medical treatment immediately and notifying the university Workers' Compensation Administrator(s), or designee, as soon as possible in order to begin the process of administering the claim.

The responsibility for claiming compensation is the responsibility of the injured employee. All on-the-job injuries, regardless of severity, must be reported and recorded by your Workers’ Compensation administrator and Supervisor (or) Department Head immediately, in any event within the allotted time required. Delay in reporting job injuries may result in the loss of benefits (if any are due), or the employer may refuse compensation. North Carolina requires that these injuries be reported to the North Carolina Industrial Commission within five (5) days. Winston-Salem State University requires that Form 18 (Notice of Accident to Employer) be completed by the employee and forwarded to Human Resources immediately. You are responsible to accept the immediately medical treatment provided by your employer. Once the treating physician is established, you cannot change treating physicians for the injury unless the employer approves a referral. Any absences from work related to the injury must be authorized by the treating physician.

The Supervisor must complete The Supervisor’s Accident Report Form (F19) immediately after an employee report a work-related injury or illness, and forward to Human Resources, along with Form 18 (which should be completed by the employee). The Supervisor or department head shall specify what corrective action are need or taken to prevent this accident from reoccurring.

When Winston-Salem State University employees have on-the-job accident or incident the employee shall go to one of the authorized Urgent Care Centers listed below:

Novant Health Urgent Care
600 Highland Oaks Drive
Winston-Salem, NC

FastMed Urgent Care
5701 University Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC

Employees are not authorized to go to their family physician or other medical personnel. In the event of a very serious accident that needs immediate special care, employees are taken to the nearest Hospital. Employees are expected to return to work after being treated by a Physician following a work related accident, unless instructed differently from the treating Physician. No leave will be charged to the employee on the day of injury or illness if instructed by treating Physician not to return to work.

NC Hazzard Hero

You can be a Hazard Hero!

A Hazard Hero is an employee who in the face of danger and/or when observing a hazard, displays courage and the will to self-sacrifice their time by taking action to remove or protect against the hazard by reporting their findings to their supervisor.

Slips, Trips and Falls in the office are the number one cause of office injuries – 50% on average. Nationally, 10% of all injuries are slips, trips, and falls.

Common causes of slips, trips and falls 

· Obstructed Views/carrying objects
· Clutter/obstruction left in pathway
· Improper footwear
· Steps – poor lighting – not using handrail
· Running/rushing
· Trip over open desk drawers and file cabinet drawers
· Surfaces – uneven, wet, slippery
· Distraction – talking on cell phones
· Reading text messages and listening to iPods
· Falls from ladders, stools, desk, chairs and other object

By taking a proactive approach, employees can help prevent accidents and injuries from occurring and protect themselves and their co-workers. If an employee notices any unsafe condition please use the Hazard Hero form. Be sure to have your supervisors email address so the reports will go directly to them.

Who should I contact if I’m involved in a incident or accident on the job?

Immediately following an incident/accident, you should contact your supervisor, or the Workers’ Compensation Reporter for your department.

(A) Supervisor’s Name, Office & cell phone #
(B) Workers’ Comp Reporter Name, Office & cell phone #

What’s the difference between an incident & an accident?

An incident is a “Near Miss” where you did not receive injury and no medical treatment is required. An accident results in minor or major injury and does require treatment.

Where do I go for treatment of a Workers’ Comp accident?

PrimeCare serves as the primary care providers for all WSSU NON-EMERGENCY work related injuries. For Emergency Care use the closest Hospital Emergency Room.

Can I visit my personal doctor/physician for treatment of a work related accident?

For work related injuries, treatment authorization includes ONLY the authorized physicians/locations noted above.

What Pharmacies can I use?

Walgreens, CVS, and RiteAid. A more extensive list can be found on the WC Authorization | Physician’s Report | Pharmacy Guide document.

What care providers can I use that are preferred?

Novant Health Urgent Care
600 Highland Oaks Drive
Winston-Salem, NC

FastMed Urgent Care
5701 University Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2016 Winston-Salem State University