Federal and State Withholding 

W-4 and NC-4 forms

All employees should fill-out a W-4 form and NC-4 form for federal and state withholding taxes.  These are available in the Human Resources Department and in the Payroll Office in Eller Hall. If no W-4/NC-4 is on hand in time for payroll processing, then the required assumption is that the employee is single with no exemptions.

Employees must file an amended Form W-4 and NC-4 if their filing status, exemption allowances or exempt status has changed since the last filing of their withholding forms.

If claiming "exempt" from Federal and/or State Withholding

Employees claiming "exempt" from withholding on their Forms W-4 and/or NC-4 must complete new forms each year by February 15th in order to keep their exempt status. Employees that do not submit new forms by the deadline will be processed as single with zero withholding allowances.

Deductions not subject to Federal and State Withholding

Certain deductions are not subject to Federal and State Withholding taxes.  Retirement contributions (TSERS and ORP), medical insurance deductions, NC Flex deductions, and supplemental retirement deductions (401k, 403b, 457 Plans) are tax deferred (not subject to federal or state withholding).

FICA and Medicare Taxes

The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) provides for a system of old-age, survivors, disability, and hospital insurance.  The current FICA tax rate is 6.2% for the employee and 6.2% for the employer up to the wage base limit of $106,800.  The correct Medicare tax rate is 1.45% for both the employee and employer.  There is no wage base limit for Medicare tax.

Deductions not subject to FICA and Medicare

Certain deductions are not subject to FICA and Medicare taxes.  Medical insurance deductions, NC Flex deductions, and are not subject to FICA and Medicare taxes.

Student FICA exemption

Students employees who are enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters or 3 credit hours in the summer session) are exempt from FICA taxes.  However, any student who is also a full-time employee of the university is not exempt from paying FICA tax.  In this situation, the individual's major function is deemed to be that of a full-time employee, and as such, they do not qualify for the student FICA exemption.

W-2 Forms

W-2 forms will be mailed by the last day of January to the address that is in the payroll system. Please check the address on your paycheck or notice of direct deposit to make sure that it is correct.

Requesting duplicate W-2 Forms

Employees must contact the Payroll Department to request duplicate W-2 forms.  It may take up to two to process requests for duplicate W-2 forms.  Requests for W-2 forms older than three years require proof of audit.  Tax information for years prior to the year 2000 cannot be reproduced in W-2 format.  

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University