Graduation Application and Requirements - Graduates
Degrees are conferred three times a year:
|Graduation Term||Graduation Date||Application Submission Period|
|Fall 2016||Dec. 16, 2016||March 28 – April 13, 2016|
|Spring 2017||May 19, 2017||October 24 – November 22, 2016|
|Summer 2017||August 31, 2017||March 20 – April 17, 2017|
Graduate Student Graduation Process
Graduate students must officially apply for graduation with their department. If you are unable to apply for spring 2017 graduation, please contact your Department Chair and Graduation Services immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS AND CLEARANCE
In addition to degree requirements, a candidate for a graduate degree must meet Academic, Residence and Catalog requirements and regulations in effect at the time of initial enrollment. Refer to the Graduate Catalog at the time of initial enrollment.
Check with your Graduate Program Coordinator to verify that all graduation requirements have been met. Only students who have been certified for graduation by the Graduate School and the Office of the Registrar may participate in the ceremonies. Students who have been certified for graduation are those students who have applied for graduation and who are currently enrolled in the remaining required courses to complete their degrees. Moreover, students who have completed degree requirements during the preceding summer or fall terms are eligible to participate in the Spring Commencement exercises and must contact the Registrar’s Office.
STUDENT LOAN EXIT
A student who is graduating and has a subsidized or unsubsidized student loan during their matriculation, must complete the mandatory exit questionnaire counseling form online at StudentLoans.gov. The loan counseling process takes approximately 1 hour. For further information, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (336) 750-3280.
ADDITIONAL UNIVERSITY CLEARANCE PROCEDURES
1. The graduation fee of $50.00 is automatically charged to your account by the Registrar’s Office.
Please clear with Billings & Receivables to ensure you have no outstanding charges on your
account. Any subsequent charges to your account after this clearance period will be billed to you.
2. You must register with the Winston-Salem State University Alumni Relations Office before final
clearance is granted. For additional information, contact Catherine Snipes at (336) 750-3491 or
3. Complete the on-line mandatory Graduate Student Exit Survey. You must complete this survey
before final clearance is granted.
STEPS TO GRADUATION AND COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES
• Meet with your Academic Advisor or Department Chair to verify all requirements have been met.
• Complete and submit the application for graduation to Academic Advisor or Department Chair.
• Purchase regalia from the bookstore, observing deadlines.
• Pay all outstanding financial obligations.
• Register with the Alumni Office.
• Complete Graduate Student Exit Survey.
• Pick up Honor Cords on the day before Spring Commencement exercises.
• Attend Spring Commencement rehearsal.
• Participate in Spring Commencement exercises.