Graduation Application and Requirements - Undergraduates
Degrees are conferred three times a year:
|Graduation Term||Graduation Date||Application Submission Period|
|Fall 2016||Dec. 16, 2016||March 28 – April 13, 2016|
|Spring 2017||May 19, 2017||October 24 – November 22, 2016|
|Summer 2017||August 31, 2017||March 20 – April 17, 2017|
Undergraduate Student Graduation Process
Undergraduate students must officially apply for graduation with the Office of the Registrar through Banner RAMS Online. Only students who have completed at least 90 semester hours and have at least a 1.90 cumulative GPA are able to access and submit an online undergraduate graduation application.
For step-by-step instructions, please following the link to the Self Service Graduation Application.
If you are unable to apply for graduation, please contact your Department Chair and Graduation Services immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS AND CLEARANCE
In addition to the general education requirements, major and minor requirements, a candidate for a baccalaureate degree must meet Academic, Residence and Catalog requirements and regulations in effect at the time of initial enrollment. Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog at the time of initial enrollment.
All degree candidates, including transfer students, are allowed six years from the date of enrollment at the university to complete the curriculum under the requirements and regulations in effect at the time of enrollment. After six years, the current requirements and regulations must be met. For this purpose, the six years will be counted from August 1 of the year of enrollment to August 1 of the year of graduation. Substitutions and/or changes in course requirements must be recommended by the Department Chair and approved by the Dean.
STUDENT LOAN EXIT
A student who is graduating and has a subsidized or unsubsidized student loan during their matriculation, must complete the mandatory exit questionnaire counseling form online at StudentLoans.gov. The loan counseling process takes approximately 1 hour. For further information, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (336) 750-3280.
ADDITIONAL UNIVERSITY CLEARANCE PROCEDURES
1. The graduation fee of $50.00 is automatically charged to your account by the Registrar’s Office.
Please clear with Billings & Receivables to ensure you have no outstanding charges on your
account. Any subsequent charges to your account after this clearance period will be billed to you.
2. You must register with the Winston-Salem State University Alumni Relations Office before final
clearance is granted. For additional information, contact Catherine Snipes at (336) 750-3491 or
3. Complete the on-line mandatory Graduating Senior Survey. You must complete this survey before
final clearance is granted.
STEPS TO GRADUATION AND COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES
• Meet with your Academic Advisor or Department Chair to verify all requirements have been met.
• Complete and submit the online application for graduation through your Banner RAMS Online
account, observing deadlines.
• Purchase regalia from the bookstore, observing deadlines.
• Pay all outstanding financial obligations.
• Register with the Alumni Office.
• Complete Graduating Senior Survey.
• Pick up Honor Cords on the day before Spring Commencement exercises.
• Attend Spring Commencement rehearsal.
• Participate in Spring Commencement exercises.