Faculty and Staff

Export Control Concerns: Travel

Travel to most countries does not usually constitute an export control problem. In most cases, items such as a personal laptop computer and other “tools of the trade” do not require a license.  A license would be required if you are taking an item found on the Department of State’s U.S. Munitions List (USML).  Travel to certain embargoed or sanctioned terrorist countries would require a license from the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC), or could, in fact, be denied. In addition to OFAC’s license requirements, the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) would require a license to take any items found on the BIS Commerce Control List (CCL).  For example, a license would be required to take any laptop computer if you were traveling to a sanctioned or embargoed country.  There are also regulations about securing licensed items and returning them to the U.S. 

The Department of State, OFAC, and BIS also have various lists of persons and entities that you are prohibited from doing business with; in other words, we should not be providing them with a defense service (includes training), giving money to these people or organizations, or providing them with controlled (on the CCL) proprietary technology.  We can be fined by the government agencies if we do business with any person or entity found on these lists.  Links to the Department of State, BIS, OFAC, denied entities/persons lists, and the “Countries of Concern” can be found at the following URL: 

Click Here

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University