Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Federal financial aid is primarily need-based and is awarded according to standards and guidelines set by the federal government and the availability of funds.  Federal financial aid can be classified as three types of aid – grants, loans and work-study.

  • Grants are a type of aid that does not require repayment.  For more information about Grants visit Grants.

  • Loans are a type of aid that does require repayment and is either subsidized or unsubsidized. For more information about loans visit Loans.

  • Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need. The income earned is intended to help pay education expenses.

In addition to the aid described above, aid may be available for students studying abroad or students enrolled at WSSU but taking classes at another institution (Transient student).

To learn more about aid for students studying abroad, visit Studying Abroad.

To learn more about aid for transient students, visit Transient Study.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University