Financial Aid

Studying Abroad and Financial Aid

Students may be eligible to receive aid while studying abroad. You may apply financial aid (including loans, grants, and scholarships) towards the cost of any study abroad program for the fall or spring semester, whether or not it is sponsored by WSSU. Typically during the summer, the only type of aid available will be in the form of loans. Financial aid eligibility is determined using the TOTAL cost of studying abroad (including air fare and personal expenses), based on official program budgets provided by the International Programs Office or by the sponsoring institution (if the program is not a WSSU program). Students should complete the FAFSA for the academic year in which they plan to study abroad, and to do so in a timely fashion. Additionally, summer applications are required for students who are planning to study abroad during the summer, whether it’s a WSSU program or another sponsoring institution.

Expectations for receiving aid while studying abroad:

  • Before submitting the WSSU Experience Abroad Application, you must receive study abroad approval from the appropriate person(s), typically your academic advisor.
  • Read and understand all information contained in the WSSU Experience Abroad Application. You should also share all information with your parents if you are a dependent student.
  • You must provide the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid a copy of your transcript/grade report from the visiting school as soon as grade information becomes available.
  • Failure to submit an unofficial transcript from your study abroad program will result in a delay in disbursement of financial aid for subsequent semesters.
  • You must notify the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid if you withdraw or reduce your course load while studying abroad. Changes to your enrollment status may require repayment of a portion or all of the funds already disbursed to you.
  • The courses you complete as part of your study abroad experience must be approved for academic credit toward your degree program.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I am interested in participating in a study abroad program to include summer, fall and/ or spring?

  • Visit the International Programs Office website and follow the step by step guide (obtain approval from International Programs Office)
  • Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you think you might apply for a study abroad program. The FAFSA must be submitted by March 1st, visit Federal Student Aid FAFSA site to view and complete the FAFSA.
  • Get approval from an academic advisor(s) to ensure the desired program experience is required for degree completion
  • Submit all required forms to the International Programs Office and if during the summer; be sure to complete summer school application in addition to the required forms

Am I eligible to receive financial aid if I am approved to attend a study abroad program?

  • This answer may vary by student
  • Additional funding for financial aid usually consists of student loans not used during the academic  year

I was approved to attend a study abroad program for this summer, I was wondering if there is any way I can still apply for financial aid for the summer session?

  • New Students must complete a FAFSA for that academic year, Continuing students- the FAFSA on file for that academic year will be used to determine your summer eligibility
  • Summer financial aid consists primarily of loans! In the event that you have not used all of your federal loan eligibility, you may use the remaining amount (up to cost) for the summer
  • In order to receive federal aid for the summer, you must be enrolled in at least 6 hours
  • All classes must be aligned with your degree course requirements to be approved for federal aid

What if I have used all of my federal loan eligibility throughout the fall /spring semesters, how will I pay for my study abroad experience?

  • Each study abroad program has a different budget cost. In the event your loan eligibility is less than what is required, you are responsible for the difference. However, if you have exhausted your loan eligibility you may apply for an alternative/ private loans (visit the FinAid website). 
  • If you are a dependent student and have used all of your federal eligibility, your parent can apply for a parent PLUS loan on your behalf. Parents should visit to apply
  • You may also apply for a private loan with the lender of your choice. Some lenders that are commonly used by WSSU students are Sallie Mae, PNC Bank, Wells Fargo and Discover.

I am interested in studying abroad but would like to be considered for scholarships?

  • Please contact the International Programs Office for more information related to study abroad scholarships.

My study abroad program will begin in May before summer school begins, how will I receive my financial aid?

  • Summer financial aid will not disburse to your accounts until after the first week of classes
  • You are responsible for all fees and monetary needs while studying abroad until your aid disburses to your account

What if my study abroad program is only 3 hours, will I still receive financial aid?

  • You must be enrolled in at least 6 hours to be eligible for federal loans

Can I study abroad more than once?

  • Yes, you can study abroad more than one semester
  • As long as the classes taken are required for your WSSU degree and will all transfer back to satisfy your degree requirements

Money is due now. What should I do?

  • You will be responsible for out of pocket expenses until your aid is processed.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2016 Winston-Salem State University