Liability and Risk
Winston-Salem State University
601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr.
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
Liability and Assumption of Risk Statement
By engaging in any Department of University Recreation (UREC) activities, the participant assumes the risk of physical and/or mental injury and agrees to release the university, its officers, employees and agents from all liability for injuries sustained by the participant.
The Department of University Recreation has gone to great lengths to make all activities and facilities as safe as possible, however, neither Winston-Salem State University nor the Department of University Recreation will assume responsibility for injuries incurred during the practice of fitness activities or participation in recreation programs.
Participation in all UREC activities is completely voluntary. Participants should be aware and understand that there is a risk of physical and/or mental injury in fitness/ recreation activities and programs due to the inherent nature of the activities. Each participant assumes the risk of any harm or injuries caused by negligence or any intentional acts. Individuals participating in UREC activities (formal or informal), are highly encouraged to consult a physician and/or have a physical exam prior to participation. UREC strongly recommends participants secure adequate medical coverage.
Risks, Hazards and Physical Stresses
|Possible Hazards/ Risk||May Be Reduced By|
|Muscle pulls, cramps, sprains, strains, cuts, bruises, and other injuries during normal activity||· warming up
· proper conditioning and form
· proper use of equipment
· proper attire and footwear
· focus on exercise
· cooling down after exercising
|Dehydration||· consuming liquids before,
during and after exercising
|Heat exhaustion & heat stroke||· decrease intensity level in
· light clothing
· moving to air-conditioned
(as a result of physical exertion)
|· proper conditioning and warm
· recognizing signs of fatigue
· reacting responsibly to the
warning signs of cardiovascular
Participants are responsible for the following:
- Their own well-being
- Taking proper precautions to assure their safety
- Following safe procedures
- Adjusting workouts in any program or workout to their own ability level
- Avoiding unnecessary hazardous situations
- Avoiding actions that may impede judgment or motor skills
- Knowing their physical /health status and limitations prior to participation in any UREC activities
- All financial obligations incurred leading up to and during treatment of an injury
Should any injury occur during participation in a UREC activity, an Injury Report Form must be completed and submitted to the Facility Supervisor.