Dean of Students - Dr. Gloria Laureano
My name is Dr. Gloria Laureano and I am the Dean of Students at Winston Salem State University (WSSU). I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to my office and provide you with a brief overview of how we support our students.
As the Dean of Students my primary role is to be an advocate for students as they learn to navigate the university during their years on our campus. The Office of the Dean of Students provides a caring environment for students and contributes to their success and their development as global citizens and future leaders.
Our goals for students are to:
• Serve as their advocate
• Provide programs and services to help them understand their new responsibilities as university
• Empower them with principles that foster personal responsibility and educate them on the ethical
decision-making process and healthy behaviors
We understand the challenges that they may face entering a new community of learners. The Office of the Dean of Students is committed to helping students succeed. Students are welcome to visit with the office staff where we can assist them with any of the following:
• Campus resources and referrals
• Connecting with campus resources if experiencing distress, difficulties, adjustments, or coping with changes, etc.
• Support for students and their families who encounter extenuating/unexpected life circumstances
• Assistance with issues related to their academic, social, or personal development (Same as the
2nd bullet isn't it?)
• Dean's certifications
These services are offered through the following departments which comprise the Office of the Dean of Students:
• Office of Student Conduct
• Office of Interpersonal Violence Prevention
• The Wellness Center (University Counseling and Student Health Services)
• Office of Career Development Services
The role of these departments is to provide services and outreach programming to support the students. We want to encourage students to connect with our areas. Our staff is very supportive of their development and will gladly assist or refer them to the appropriate campus resources. The programs and services are aimed at supporting our students as they navigate through their college experience. As they engage in these opportunities, they will learn valuable lessons that they can take with them after they graduate from our university. As the Dean of Students my philosophy is to help students see the "learning experiences" in the events they will attend while they are a student at WSSU and to take those experiences and let them be guided through teachable moments. For more information about our programs and services, and opportunities to get involved, please contact us at the following:
Office of the Dean of Students
Winston Salem State University
C.F. Thompson Center, Room 303
I look forward to your students' continued success and know that I am here to support and assist!
Dr. Gloria Laureano
Associate Vice Chancellor & Dean of Students
Division of Student Affairs
Winston Salem State University