Counseling Center FAQs

How can I make an Appointment?

Setting up your first appointment is quite simple. Come by the Counseling Center during our normal hours and request an appointment. You can also call for an appointment at 750-3270. We can typically schedule appointments within the same week. We may be able to see you immediately if you present with an emergency. Our counselors will work with you to assess your immediate needs.  

What community medical facilities are available in Winston-Salem?

  • Forsyth Medical Center Behavioral Medical Center (Main) 336-718-5000;
    Emergency- 336-718-2001
  • Baptist Medical Center Wake Forest University (Main) 336 716-2255; (Emergency)336-713-9000
  • High Point Regional Hospital (Main) 336-878-6000; (Emergency) 336-878-6009
  • Forsyth Medical Center Behavioral Health Mobile Crisis Response Team 888-581-9988 All services provided for those who reside off campus.

Can I request a certain Counselor?

Students are able to request specific counselors or a certain type of counselor. We will do our best to accommodate requests, but do keep in mind that a specific counselor may not necessarily be the first available counselor so you may have to wait slightly longer for your first appointment.

Who is eligible to receive counseling?

Services are FREE to any student currently enrolled at Winston-Salem State University.

Are counseling sessions confidential?

WSSU Counseling Center carefully adheres to professional standards of ethics and confidentiality. No Information will be revealed to another individual without the student's written permission. Before information concerning a student can be released, he/she must sign a specific written authorization. Information can only be released when the following conditions are met: a) the student is deemed to be a threat to him/her or others, b) if court orders that information, and c) a law enforcement agency request that information when responding to a threat.

What are some of the typical problems that bring students to the Counselor Center?

Our staff is available to help students gain perspective on any personal problems. It can be helpful to talk with skilled counselors about concerns with relationships, stress, anxiety, or depression. Services include, crisis intervention, short-term individual counseling, stress management, referrals, and medication. Couples counseling is also available.  

Some issues include, but are not limited to:

  • Poor academic performance and study skills
  • Documentation for psychological withdrawal
  • Roommate conflicts
  • Homesickness and difficulty adjusting to the university
  • Disappointing social relationships
  • Alcohol and other substance use and abuse
  • Difficulty in love relationships
  • Loneliness and isolation
  • Eating and body image problems
  • Depression and suicidal thoughts
  • Anxiety
  • Sexuality and sexual identity
  • Family conflict
  • Grief and loss

Why contact the Counseling Center?

Many students feel that asking for help may be a sign of weakness. Or possibly worse, they feel that their concerns aren't serious enough to need to talk to a counselor.

We hope that this way of thinking changes as they realize that confronting a problem is a positive sign of health and maturity and strength. Having problems, feeling anxious or depressed, and needing help at various points in life are universal experiences. Being able to acknowledge those feelings is an important step in taking care of your-self in a healthy and appropriate manner. Our staff is available to help students gain perspective on any personal problems.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2016 Winston-Salem State University