Housing and Residence Life

Parent Information

Care Packages

You can order various care packages to to encourage your student. Packages will be delivered throughout the semester from the Residence Hall Association on campus. All proceeds go back to your students through the work of the Residence Hall Association.

WSSU Linen Program

We contract through On Campus Marketing for students who want to have linens delivered to their rooms before move in. This keeps things simple and makes one less thing for Mom and Dad to have to pack up in the mini-van.

Meal Plans

All students who reside on campus must purchase a meal plan. For information on the various meal plans that the university offers see Campus Dish.


The RamCard is the official Winston-Salem State University identification card used by all students, faculty, and staff. The RamCard is an essential part of life at WSSU. It is used for food services, bookstore and campus purchases; access to residence halls, academic buildings, the student health center, vending and library services. It is a ticket for admission to athletic events and campus activities. Students should carry their RamCard with them at all times and present it to University officials upon request.


As part of our efforts as a University to “Go Green” most of the official university business and notifications will go through email. All students will receive email addresses upon registering for classes. It is their responsibility to check their email regularly. For traditional mail delivery, students should get a Campus Box at the University Post Office on the ground floor of the Thompson Student Center. Parents can send packages that can be picked up at our Post Office during business hours.

Once you get a campus box your address will be as follows.

Campus Box ?????
601 South Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27110-0001


Students should enroll in RAMAlert to receive emergency notifications via phone, text, and email. 

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

By federal law there are restrictions on information that can be shared with parents and other family members of our students.  Please refer to FERPA  for a full explanation of student’s rights to privacy and the university’s responsibility to their private information.


All students at the university must carry some form of medical insurance.  Insurance is a mandatory fee which is charged to all students registered for six hours or more, unless you are a Distance Learner. If you have medical insurance the fee can be waived. If a student believes they are adequately covered through their parent’s plan they need to provide verification through the Chartis website.  Once a student provides his/her insurance information, the provider will determine whether or not you qualify for the waiver.  

Medical Health History, Vaccinations, and Immunizations Requirements

The State of North Carolina requires proof of various vaccinations and immunizations for enrollment at their Universities. 

Alcohol and Drugs

Winston-Salem State University is a zero tolerance institution concerning any illegal drugs.  Students who are found responsible for possession or use of any illegal substance will be asked to leave the university for no less than one full year.  Winston-Salem State University is also a alcohol free campus.  Students charged with an alcohol offense will be adjudicated through the Office of Student Conduct and an appropriate sanction will be assigned.

Campus Maps

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2016 Winston-Salem State University