Student Handbook 2014

Student Handbook Quick Reference


If you are going to be absent from class for any reason, be sure to contact your professors to make arrangements to get notes and make up any work that will be missed. For absences due to personal or family emergencies or crisis, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 336-750-3356 for an excused absence letter.


Academic Success Counselors serve as “one-stop shop” to assist students in their college experience; monitors student academic progress utilizing all available data, and, when necessary, intervenes with solutions that will improve student success; works with students to overcome challenges that hinder his/her academic progress by providing support, developing strategies, and helping students to obtain the necessary resources and tools needed to achieve their academic goals. For more information on academic advising services at WSSU, contact UCaLL Advising Services at 336-750-2634.


Provides important information and deadlines for the academic semester including: course registration, drop/add period, withdrawal deadline, and graduation.

The academic calendar can be found in the WSSU Undergraduate Catalog and on the WSSU website.


Students are required to earn and maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) to be in good academic standing (GAS). If a student fails to maintain the minimum required GPA, their academic standing will be impacted. For additional information refer to the WSSU Undergraduate Catalog.


WSSU students are expected to adhere to a code of honor in regard to all academic work that is submitted. Work submitted in your name must be your own. Each student is expected to read and adhere to the Academic Integrity Policy that is found in the Policies section of this handbook.


You may check your grades on-line at “Banner RAMS ONLINE.” If you have general questions about your academic record, go to the Office of the Registrar, Suite 202 in the Thompson Center. Questions about a particular grade should be addressed to the faculty member or dean who is responsible for the course.


All students are strongly encouraged to report both their local and permanent addresses to the Registrar’s office. Any address change within an academic year should also be reported. Failure to do so may result in personal mail being sent to the wrong address. Address changes must be in writing and include the signature of the student.

 [ 1 ] 

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2016 Winston-Salem State University