Construction Date: 1966
Named For: David S. Coltrane
This classroom building currently houses the Social Sciences Department. From its construction in 1967 through the 1980s, Coltrane Hall housed both the Education and Social Sciences Departments, and featured a reading laboratory. The building is named for David S. Coltrane, a friend and colleague of former WSSU president Francis L. Atkins. During his tenure as Assistant Director and State Budget Officer, Coltrane was instrumental in assisting Winston-Salem Teachers College obtain funding from the state to construct the facility that was later named in his honor.
Coltrane began his career in state government in 1918, and held numerous positions in state government such as commissioner of the North Carolina Departments of Agriculture, assistant director and state budget officer for the Department of Administration, and consultant on economy and efficiency for the Governor's Office.