Code of Conduct
Procedures and Suggested Actions for Violations of Code of Conduct
O'Kelly Library will provide an environment conducive for learning, study, and research. Patrons are expected to use all library resources (books, audiovisual), facilities (study rooms, carrels), equipment (desk top computers, laptops, all media equipment, scanners, DVDs, headphones, etc), and properties for the sole purpose of study and research.
A willing and knowledgeable library staff will provide good customer friendly service and assistance to patrons at all times to everyone.
All persons are expected to observe library policies and procedures which are:
- Ram Cards are required at all times to check out and renew library materials-laptops, books, DVDs, textbooks, markers and erasers, and non-circulating materials such as newspapers and magazines.
- Ram Cards with money on it, are required to make copies and to print files.
- The Ram Card and a valid picture ID are necessary to check out a laptop to use within the library.
No Ram Card no check out, no picture ID and valid picture ID, no check out of laptops.
Overdue materials and charges of $150.00, result in circulation privileges being
Overdue textbooks and late charges of textbook fines result in no check out of textbooks.
Overdue DVDs result in suspension of DVD check out privileges for 30 days.
Loud talking and talking that disturbs others, is not acceptable behavior.
Persons will be asked to lower their voices as they enter the building, in quiet zones, in study rooms, at service desks, and in groups at tables or study carrels.
Viewing of phonographic sites or sexually deviant behavior is not acceptable. Offenders will be asked to close the sites and leave the building.
Action to be taken:
Persons will be asked to lower their voices twice by the library staff or security.
At the third encounter, persons will be asked to leave the building for the evening by
the security officer.
When individuals are not willing to comply with this request, Campus Police will be
called and an incidence report will be completed. Campus Police will escort the
offender from the library.
Physical confrontations should be handled immediately by Campus Police. All loud conversation, verbal confrontations, profanity or physical confrontations will automatically result in the individual being escorted out of the building by Campus Police and a report made to Student Affairs.
Cell phone conversations should be minimal. Persons are asked to put their cell phones on vibrate prior to entering the library. Text messaging can be completed if the phone does not ring, play music, or disturb others. When a cell phone call must be received, users are asked to move to the hallways leading to the restrooms, inside restrooms, the library foyer, or outside of the library.
Persons using their cell phones will be asked to go to acceptable zones to avoid disturbing others. Individuals who refuse to follow policies, will be asked to leave the library for the evening. Any type of loud conversation, confrontation, or profanity will result in an escort out of the building by Campus Police and a report made to Student Affairs.
No Food and Drink are allowed within the library. Food and drink should be left outside of the library or kept closed in bags. Any persons seen eating or drinking within the library will be asked to put their foods and drinks in closed bags out of sight for their continued stay in the library or asked to leave the library.
Persons eating or drinking will be asked to leave the library until they complete their meals. Loud conversations or profanity will result in persons being asked to leave the building for the evening.
No sexual contact or activity of any kind is allowed or tolerated.
Persons engaged in sexual contact or activity will be asked to leave the library. All persons
involved will be identified - request to see their Ram Card and
- Asked to leave the library
- An incidence report filled out for the library and Campus Police and
- A report sent to Student Affairs
- Use of profanity, smoking, drugs, or alcohol will not be tolerated.
- Persons using profanity, smoking, drugs, or alcohol will be asked to leave the building immediately by Library Staff or Security. Campus Police will be called if needed.
- Children under the age of thirteen who are in the library on computers, playing, talking loud, playing on the stairwell, and running through the library alone will be returned immediately to their parents or guardians.
- Children left alone here in the library:
- Will be asked to leave the area and
- Will be located in a safe place on the 1st floor to wait for their parents
Parents or guardians will be informed that O'Kelly Library is not a safe haven for
young children and any further violations of this policy will result in the child being
collected and kept by Campus Police.