OKelly Library

Old Atkins Hall

Old Atkins Hall

Old Atkins Hall

Construction Date: 1915

Named For: Simon Green Atkins

In 1916, this residence facility for female students was contracted and built by Slater Industrial Academy (now WSSU) graduate John H. Smith, at a cost of $10,475. The dormitory's 200,000 bricks were made by the students of the Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School. President Simon G. Atkins initially asked that the school's trustees name the building "Carolina Hall," but school trustees H.E. Fries and William Blair suggested that the building be named Atkins Hall in his honor. This building was demolished in 1984.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University