Construction Date: 1977
Named For: George A. Hall and Joseph N. Patterson
The Hall-Patterson Building houses the departments of Mass Communications and English and Foreign Languages, as well as WSNC Radio Station. The building was constructed in 1978, and dedicated to George A. Hall and Joseph N. Patterson on September 30, 1979.
Although born in Nicaragua, George Hall graduated from Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School (now WSSU) in 1923. In 1935, he returned to Winston-Salem Teachers College (now WSSU) to teach in the Department of Science. Hall held numerous positions at WSSU, including acting director of instruction and dean of the college from 1961 to 1962. He retired in 1966.
Known affectionately as "Dr. Pat," Joseph N. Patterson began his teaching career at Winston-Salem State University in 1950 as a professor of education and philosophy. As a result of his love of the classics, Patterson frequently engaged students â?? in the classroom and on the campus grounds â?? in dialogue and debate on ancient philosophers. Patterson was also the minister of Wentz Memorial United Church of Christ in Winston-Salem. He died in 1978 after a brief illness.