Construction Date: 1937
Named For: Oleona Pegram Atkins
Built in 1937 and dedicated March 19, 1939, this three-story structure was initially a residence facility for female students. Currently, it houses the Physical Therapy Department and provides living accommodations for a limited number of students. The building is named in honor of Oleona Pegram Atkins, the wife of Winston-Salem State University founder Simon Green Atkins. Trained as an educator at Scotia Woman's College in Concord, North Carolina, (now Barber-Scotia College) and Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee, she moved to Winston, North Carolina, shortly after her husband Simon Atkins was appointed principal of the Depot Street colored graded school in 1890. As an educator and wife of the president of the fledgling school, Pegram held numerous positions during her tenure at Slater Industrial Academy and Normal School, most notably as an English teacher and assistant principal.