OKelly Library

Woody Training Home

Woody Training Home

Woody Training Home

Construction Date: Early 1900's

Named For: John W. and Mary C. Woody

Initially inhabited by Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School (now WSSU) employees John and Mary Woody, this structure was later used as the principal's house.

John Woody, born of Quaker heritage in 1841, attended New Garden Boarding School (now Guilford College). There, he befriended future Slater Industrial Academy benefactor and trustee William A. Blair. As a result of his anti-slavery convictions, Woody left the New Garden School at the outset of the Civil War and set off for the free territory of Indiana. He then enrolled at Old Lebanon National Normal School in Ohio, where he obtained the Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees. He later received the LL.B. degree from Ann Arbor Law School. In addition to serving as the first president of William Penn College in Oskaloosa, Iowa, John W. Woody served on the first faculties of Guilford College, Whittier College ( California), and Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School, and Friends University ( Kansas). During his tenure at Slater, Woody was a professor of history and education, the business officer, and funds solicitor. Both Woody and his wife Mary discontinued active service at Slater in 1908. John Woody died in 1920.

Born in Indiana in 1846, Mary C. Woody was recorded as a Friends minister in 1884. She assisted her husband John in his various educational appointments, and in this capacity taught English, public speaking, and Bible. The Woodys were responsible for bringing one of the first international students, M. Q. Cele, from Zululand, South Africa, to Slater. Mary Woody died in 1928.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University