Department of Social Sciences - Programs of Study
All Winston-Salem State University students are welcome to enroll in courses offered by the department in order to satisfy the university’s general education requirements in the social sciences or to fulfill the elective requirements of their major and minor programs.
The department of social sciences offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and political science. It also offers a social studies certificate program. Although the department offers courses in geography, religion, and philosophy, these courses do not lead to a degree.
- Air Force ROTC
- History: a systematic study of the past in an effort to enlighten us about human nature and contemporary affairs. A bachelor's degree in history will lead to career opportunities in government and related business agencies or as preparation for graduate or professional school.
- Social Studies Certification: prepares students to teach social studies in the public school system and to high school students.
- Justice Studies
- Political Science: a study of the science and art of government. One of two tracks is available:
- A major in political science with a minor in another area. A bachelor's degree in political science will lead to career opportunities in government and non-profit organizations or serve as preparation for law school or graduate studies in political science and related disciplines.
- A major in political science with a concentration in public administration. A bachelor's degree in political science with a concentration in public administration will lead to career opportunities in the state department, non-profit organizations, law enforcement agencies, and related business corporations.
Minor Program offered: