man climbing wall

Bachelor of Science in Therapeutic Recreation - FAQs

Who will be my advisor?

TR majors will be assigned an advisor during their freshman year or upon transfer into the TR program. All full-time TR program faculty members serve as advisors.

How long does the TR program take?

Upon admission into the TR major students can complete the program in four semesters of coursework and one semester of Internship.

Is there assistance with securing an internship?

Yes, university supervisors can assist with internship placement.  Additionally they will provide students with information during certain classes.  Students make their own choices for placement, although there is competition for some sites in North Carolina. Students are encouraged to look for out-of-state sites when appropriate.

What are the academic requirements for the program?

Students must maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA each semester.  Additionally, all courses required for the major must be passed at the "C" level or above. Courses with grades below a "C" may be repeated, but only a grade of "C" or above will count toward graduation.

How many students are in the program?

On average there are about 60 to 80 students in the TR program at WSSU.

Do you have a student organization?

Yes, the TR majors' club is very active and provides leadership opportunities as well as social, service, and professional development opportunities. The club usually provides scholarships for students to attend professional conferences, that are tied into their coursework.

Do you have a minor in Therapeutic Recreation?

No, but we do have a minor in Recreation. It consists of 18 hours of recreation core courses.

Will I be eligible for national certification when I graduate?

Yes, graduates of the WSSU-TR program are eligible to sit for the national certification exam and to apply for national certification. More information about certification can be found by visiting the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification(NCTRC).

Will I be eligible for the North Carolina state license in recreation therapy?

Yes, graduates of the WSSU-TR program meet the requirements for state licensure in recreation therapy in North Carolina. More information about licensure can be found by visiting the North Carolina Board of Recreational Therapy Licensure (NCBRTL).

For more information contact the TR program coordinator Dr. Jo Ann Coco-Ripp or by phone at 336-750-3459.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Copyright © 2013 Winston-Salem State University