Dr. Cynthia Williams Brown
Cynthia Williams Brown
Ph.D., University of South Carolina, 1998
M. S., North Carolina Central University, 1988
B. S., Shaw University, 1981
Dr. Brown is currently Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Human Performance & Sport Sciences at Winston-Salem State University. Dr. Brown’s research interests include obesity prevention and intervention in children and college women; and cardiovascular disease interventions in women. She is also interested in community health outreach programs, especially those related to faith based institutions. Dr. Brown designs and conducts physical activity intervention for children, youth and adults. Her current research focuses on cardiovascular intervention targeting African-American women. Dr. Brown, a former high school physical education teacher and coach, became a member of the faculty at Winston-Salem State University in 1998. She serves on numerous university committees, is active in professional organizations, and is involved in work with the community.
- PED 4321 Middle & Secondary Physical Education Methods
- PED 4612 Physical Education Internship
- Student Teaching
- PED 2302 Foundations of Physical Education & Sport
- Brown, C. W., Shepperson, J., Gopalan, H., & El-Amin, S. (in press). HIV: Facts, fiction, and the impact on behavior of students at an Historically Black College/University. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education.
- Graham, K. C., Ellis, S. D., Williams, C. D., Kwak, E. U., & Werner, P. H. (1996). High and low skilled target students' academic achievement and instructional performance in a 6-week badminton unit. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 15(4), 477-489.
- Williams, C. D., Felder, D., Jacks, D. E. (2004). An examination of alcohol and drug behaviors among athletes at Historically Black University. The North Carolina Journal.
- Brown, C. W., Pittsley, J., Kavas, A., & Ritsche, K. STEPS to a Healthier Heart. Presented at the 2012 HBCU/HSI Research Network Conference, Winston-Salem, NC (September 2012).
- Brown, C. W. & Ritsche, K. Campus and Community Health Literacy Initiative. Presented at the 2011 2011 UNCFSP/NLM HBCU ACCESS Meeting, Bethesda MD (June 2011).
- Brown, C. W., Ritsche, K., Rose, B. & Spinks, D. Effectiveness of a heart education program for women. Presented at the Southern District Convention of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, Myrtle Beach, SC (February 2010).
- Brown, C. W., Pittsley, J., Ritsche, K. and Kavas, A. The Relationship Between Anthropometric Measurements and Blood Lipid Profile in Young, African-American Women. Presented at the National Conference to End Health Disparities II: Faces of a Healthy Future in Winston-Salem, NC (November 2009).