Dr. Himanshu Gopalan
Associate Professor & Associate Chair
Doctor of Recreation, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1993. Emphasis: Outdoor Recreation/Outdoor and Environmental Education; Cognate: Instructional Systems Technology/Educational Media Production
Master of Science, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1988; Emphasis: Outdoor Recreation
Master of Science, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1982; Emphasis: Educational Media Production
Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1976
Himanshu Gopalan, Re. D., is an associate professor in the Therapeutic Recreation Program and also serves as Associate Chair of the Department of Human Performance and Sport Sciences. has been extensively involved in university governance since 2005, and has served as chair of the faculty and faculty senate for four years. His academic area of interest is outdoor and environmental education, and he is active in promoting environmental literacy at WSSU through formal and non-formal education. He is also highly involved in campus sustainability efforts.
Although he was born in India, he has lived most of his life in the U.S. He is an alumnus of Indiana University, Bloomington, from where he has earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Biological Sciences, a Master of Science Degree in Instructional Systems Technology, a Master of Science Degree in Recreation, and a Doctorate in Recreation/Outdoor and Environmental Education.
He and his wife, Smeeta, enjoy travel, experiencing other cultures, and outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and nature study.
- TRC 2313: Environmental Issues, Education, and Ethics
- TRC 2301: Outdoor Recreation: Foundations and Experiences
- TRC 3102: Field Experience
- PED 2117: Yoga
- Kim, J., Suh, W., Kim, S., & Gopalan, H. (in press). Coping strategies to manage acculturative stress: meaningful activity participation, social support, and positive emotion among Asian immigrant adolescents. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being.
- Brown, C. W., Shepperson, J. T., Gopalan, H., & El-Amin, S. (2012). HIV: facts, fiction, and the impact on behavior of students at an Historically Black College/University. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, 50(2), 61-67.
- Hand, J.W., Betters, C.J, McKenzie, M.J., and Gopalan, H. (2011). Increasing Academic Engagement at a Historically Black College and University Through the Implementation of an Undergraduate Research Showcase . Mountain Rise: The International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 6(3).
- Stanley, C. and Gopalan, H. (2001). Student voices in curricular design: a case study. SCHOLE: A Journal of Leisure Studies and Recreation Education, 16, 83-93.
UNC Board of Governors' Award for Excellence in Teaching (2004)
- “Infusing Environmental Education into Academic Programs”, invited presentation, annual conference of the North American Association for Environmental Education. October, 2012.
- “EE Standards for Pre-Service Education”, NAAEE-NCATE, Compiler workshop and Reviewer training, annual conference of the North American Association for Environmental Education. October, 2012.
- "Environmental Education Efforts at Winston-Salem State University", invited presentation, annual conference of the North American Association for Environmental Education. October, 2011.
- "What's Happening in Higher Education", invited presentation and roundtable discussion, annual conference of the North American Association for Environmental Education. October, 2010.
- "NCATE/NAAEE Teacher Preparation Standards Training", invited presentation, annual conference of the North American Association for Environmental Education. October, 2009.
- "Knowledge about HIV/AIDS and resulting student behavior among students at an Historically Black College/University.", Teaching and Learning Conference, Clute Institute for Academic Research, March, 2009.