Dr. Michael McKenzie
Office: 113 Old Nursing Building
BS in Athletic Training, Appalachian State University, 1999
MS in Exercise Physiology, University of Florida, 2002
PhD in Exercise Physiology, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Mike McKenzie, PhD, is an associate professor of exercise science at Winston-Salem State University. He is married to Laura (Klein) McKenzie, and has two children (Kate, John). He grew up outside of Niagara Falls, NY in Lewiston, NY before moving to Raleigh, NC for high school. He has degrees from Appalachian State, the University of Florida, and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Additionally, he is a certified strength and conditioning specialist (CSCS). His research and publications involves oxidative stress, as well as high intensity exercise. Dr. McKenzie also has a large focus on undergraduate research.
- EXS 3321 – Exercise Physiology
- EXS 2130 – Field Experience in Exercise Science
- EXS 4612 – Exercise Science Internship
- McKenzie, M.J., Goldfarb, A.H., and Kump, D.S. Gene Response of the Gastrocnemius and Soleus Muscles to an Acute Aerobic Run in Rats. J of Sport Sci and Med. 2011, June; 10(2): 385-392.
- Prior, S.J., M.J. McKenzie, L.J. Joseph, F. Ivey, R.F. Macko, C.E.Hafer-Macko, A.S. Ryan. Reduced skeletal muscle capillarization and glucose intolerance. Microcirculation. Microcirculation. 2009 Apr;16(3):203-12.
- McKenzie, M.J., S. Yu, S.J. Prior, R.F. Macko, C.E.Hafer-Macko. Hemi-Paretic Stroke Alters Vastus Lateralis Myosin Heavy Chain Profiles Between the Paretic and Non-Paretic Muscles. Res Sports Med. 2009 Jan-Mar;17(1):17-27.M.J.
- McKenzie and Goldfarb, A.H. An Aerobic Exercise Bout Effects on Gene Expression in Soleus Muscle from Rats. Med. Sci. Sport and Exer. 2007, Sep;39(9):1515-21.
Southeast American College of Sports Medicine (SEACSM) Executive Board, 2011-2013
- McKenzie MJ, Goldfarb AH, Garten RS , Gomashe C. Ethnicity Responses to Aerobic Exercise in Untrained Females: Oxidative Stress Markers. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 2011, Volume 43(5) S 297 (1795).
- McKenzie, MJ, Ritsche, K., Valentine, W. and Mellick, P. Relationship Between the YMCA, Astrand-Rhyming and Maximal Cycle Ergometer Exercise Test in African-American Females. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 2010 Volume 42(5): 321.
- McKenzie, M.J. Acute Changes in Gene Expression in Soleus Muscle to Aerobic Exercise. Symposium presented at the American College of Sports Medicine 2008 Annual Meeting.