std impact - student success

Frequently Asked Questions

Student Accounts & Cashiering
Location: Suite 200, Thompson Center
Telephone: 336-750-2800   Fax: 336-750-2811
EMAIL: billings   
Office Hours : Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm
Cashier : 8:30 am – 4pm

The Office of Student Accounts & Cashiering (Student Accounts) maintains students’ accounts. All fees on the account are mandatory and are a part of the cost of attendance. The only fee that can be waived is the insurance fee.

How will I receive my bill?

WSSU utilizes E-Billing. Once bills are generated, a notification will be sent via email that the bill is available online through TouchNet. From the WSSU homepage, click on CURRENT STUDENTS, Select the tab Campus Resources, Select Student Accounts. Under FEATURED LINKS, Select STUDENT ACCOUNT SUITE ACCESS. THIS IS THE TOUCHNET SITE. From here you can also set up direct deposit and make credit card payments.

Am I required to have the Student Insurance? What if I have insurance?

Insurance is a mandatory fee which is charged to all students registered for six hours or more, unless you are a Distance Learner. If you have medical insurance the fee can be waived.

How do you waive the insurance?

The insurance is waived by accessing the Web site Once you provide your insurance information the provider will determine whether or not you qualify for the waiver.

There is a deadline for waiving the insurance. If the deadline is missed, the fee will have to be paid.

What forms of payment do you accept?

The University accepts cash, cashier’s checks, money orders, MasterCard and Visa as forms of payment.

Where and how do I pay for my classes?

Payment can be mailed to the Student Accounts Office. Payment can also be made online with a credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

Does the cashier’s office provide banking services for students?

No, there is an ATM located on the first floor of the Thompson Center.

How is my financial aid award applied?

Financial Aid is applied directly to the student’s account to pay tuition, required fees, room and board (meals). Any overpayment is refunded to the student. Work Study cannot be used to guarantee payment. Parent Plus loans can be used if they have been approved.

What can I do if my financial aid is not enough to cover all my University charges or if I do not have financial aid?

You can use the University’s approved payment plan or pay the difference through one of the other listed forms of payment.

Do you accept scholarships from other sources?

Yes, we accept scholarships from all sources. They can be used to pay the bill or reduce the balance due. The Financial aid office should be given a copy of all scholarship letters.

  • General scholarships are those awarded from religious, fraternal or civic organizations
  • Third party scholarships are those which the University has to bill for. The authorizations for billing must be turned into Student Accounts and a copy must also be provided to financial aid

How do I know if I will get a refund?

Once your bill is paid in full from any source and the payment results in an overpayment, then you are due a refund.

The first refunds will be available eleven days after the first day of class. Additional refunds will be available twice a month.

How will my refund be processed?

There are two methods of receiving a refund….checks or direct deposit.

How do I know if I qualify for a Book Vouchers?

You qualify for a book vouchers if you have a pending credit from Financial Aid after the mandatory charges have been accounted for.

What is Validation?

Validation is completion of enrollment into the University. This is achieved by paying the amount due on your student account.

All students who register for classes must complete their enrollment into the University by validating their schedules. Students who have financial aid to cover all charges can validate online. All others must contact Student Accounts to make sure the bill has been satisfied and validation is complete.

What does ‘purge’ mean?

Purge means that your classes have been deleted from the system because they were not validated (not paid). If classes are purged you need to reregister and contact Student Accounts if you are on the payment plan or pay the amount due.

Can I receive financial credit when I drop a class?

Financial credit will not be given for dropped classes after the Add period is over. The Add period ends one week after the first day of General Registration.

What if I withdraw from school, will I receive financial credit?

Financial credit is issued on a prorated basis for withdrawal up to the eighth week of classes. Withdrawal impacts Financial Aid. To retain the Financial Aid, you must complete at least 60% of the semester, otherwise funds will be returned and you may owe the University.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2010-2015 Winston-Salem State University