2017 Homecoming week is under way at WSSU
Concerts, reunions, step shows, coronations, parades and the big game are all part of the many offerings for Winston-Salem State University’s 2017 Homecoming Celebration, which kicked off on Sunday, Oct. 22, and continues through Saturday, Oct. 28.
With WSSU celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2017, this year will be extra special.
The safety of students and visitors is always WSSU’s no. 1 priority. WSSU is taking every precaution to ensure everyone attending Homecoming events has a safe and enjoyable experience. University Police are in close contact area law enforcement and have developed a comprehensive security plan for the event.
This year, WSSU police also will receive assistance from North Carolina A&T State University and the University of North Carolina School of the Arts police through mutual aid agreements. Additionally, University Police have met with students in every residence hall to talk about campus safety and measures they can take to ensure their personal safety and also the safety of others in their halls.
Getting to Events
- The extension of Research Parkway is now open, creating a new interchange on U.S. 52 and offering easier access to WSSU’s campus and Bowman Gray Stadium.
- The exit/entrance ramps at Rams Drive (108C) are permanently closed, and the Rams Drive Bridge over U.S. 52 is closed to through traffic for construction of a new bridge.
- The Business 40 Improvements Project is now underway with nightly lane closures at Peters Creek Parkway and interchange. To avoid delays during the construction, drivers are urged to consider taking another route. Message boards and signs will be placed to inform drivers of lane closures. For maps and more information, please visit business40nc.com.
- Need to find your way around campus? Check out WSSU’s new interactive campus map: maps.wssu.edu.
Get real-time weather data from WSSU WeatherSTEM, a new high-tech weather monitoring unit that links to the web and provides text alerts, forecasts and a live camera feed. Live data is available online at: forsyth.weatherstem.com/wssu or @WSSUWxSTEM on Twitter.
Wednesday, Oct. 25
Enjoy a night of pageantry when the new Miss and Mister WSSU will be crowned during Coronation: Night at the Museum beginning at 7 p.m. in K.R. Williams Auditorium. The Royal Ball will follow at 9 p.m. in McNeil Ballroom in the Anderson Center.
Thursday, Oct. 26
- Alumni Return to Serve: Nearly 100 alumni will serve as visiting professors in classrooms across campus. This event, hosted by Career Development Services, is from 7 a.m.-noon.
- The Department of Education’s honors WSSU alumni educators with Educators Endured, Enriched and Embodied Excellence Luncheon at the McNeil Banquet Hall in the Anderson Center. The cost is $35 per ticket.
- The community is invited to the vendor fair and community stage, starting at 4 p.m. on campus.
- The WSSU Nurse Alumni Organization celebrates innovators in nursing with the Nurses Gala Homecoming 2017 reception and awards dinner at the Anderson Center McNeil Ballroom.
Friday, Oct. 27
Friday will feature the Wreath Laying Ceremony, honoring WSSU founder Dr. Simon Green Atkins at 8:45 a.m. at the S.G. Atkins Statue (Rain Site: K.R. Williams Auditorium) followed by Founder’s Day Convocation at 9:45 a.m. in K.R. Williams Auditorium.
Other events include:
- Vendor’s Fair from 12:30- 8 p.m.
- The Ram Rave-Mini Parade, Pep Rally and Day Party, starting at 2 p.m.
- Homecoming Alumni Greek Step Show in the K.R. Williams Auditorium at 7 p.m. Tickets for the Step Show can be purchased at the WSSU Ticket Office.
- RAMS Music Super Lounge from 9 p.m.-1 a.m. at the Benton Convention Center. The event, featuring Grammy-nominated SWV (Sisters with Voices), S.O.S. Band, go-go bands, including Be’la Dona and Jus Once, and local DJs and a Jazz Cool Down Room. Tickets are available at www.wssu.edu/tickets.
Saturday, Oct. 28
WSSU’s Homecoming Parade returns to downtown Winston-Salem. The parade gets underway at 10 a.m., starting at Poplar Street NW and Fourth Street and ending on Cromartie Street on the WSSU campus. The parade will feature three breakdown locations.
The Homecoming Game against the Bears of Shaw University begins at 1:30 p.m. at historic Bowman Gray Stadium. Tickets are available at www.wssu.edu/tickets. After the game, there’s Return to the Yard, a victory party on campus featuring DJ Diesel.
For more information about Homecoming events, please visit www.wssu.edu/homecoming. Follow events on social media through #WSSUHomecoming.
Photo: WSSU kicked off Homecoming with a bang on Sunday, Oct. 22, with the lighting of the Homecoming sign and fireworks. More photos in Flickr gallery.