Staff wins big at 2018 WSSU Chancellor’s Achievement Awards
Winston-Salem State University (WSSU) recognized the dedication and years of service of their staff during the Chancellor’s Achievement Awards on Wednesday, June 6.
The award ceremony, also known as the RAMMYS, is an annual tradition at WSSU created to honor staff for their accomplishments during the past academic year.
“ You do amazing work throughout the year,” said Lester Arnold, associate vice chancellor and chief human resource officer. “Some of it is obvious to the larger campus community, but much of it happens behind the scenes. Today is a day to honor the people who work behind the scenes in all capacities and keep the campus running smoothly.”
The awards portion of the ceremony began by acknowledging staff members who were celebrating service anniversaries. This recognition was given based on the employee’s years of service to the state of North Carolina in increments of five years. Among those were two employees with 35 years of service: Nelson Adams, professor of psychological sciences; and Willie Frazier, lecturer and undergraduate program assistant in the Department of Computer Science.
Award recipients were chosen through a campuswide nomination process based on WSSU’s Strategic Plan. Individual award winners received a cash prize. First-place winners received $1,000; second place, $750; and third place, $500. Individuals and team award members received a RAMMY statuette.
Door prizes were given out throughout the ceremony, including grand prizes for one-year free reserved parking space, and a one night stay and dinner for two at the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel in downtown Winston-Salem.
Entertainment for the Chancellor Achievement Awards was provided by WSSU faculty and staff.
- Student Centeredness:first place, Natisha Melchor; second place, Patricia Flowers; third place, Elizabeth Knight
- Excellence:first place, Forrest Foster, second place, Mary McComb, third place, Sharon Hill and Kendrith Davis
- Stewardship: first place, James Berry; second place, Kelly Fei; third place, Staci Manter
- Integrity:first place, Virma Garcia; second place, Lay Precious Graves; third place, Trena Eaton
- Trust:first place, Selena Ligons and Calvin Chisom
- Health and Wellness Committee
- Registrar’s Office
Revenue and Stewardship
- University and Donor Events
- ESPN “First Take” Video Team
- Office of Scholarship and Financial Aid
- Chancellor Scholarship Offers Team
Physical and Operational Infrastructure
- Retool Your School Team
- MyWSSU Student Portal Team
- Office of Design and Construction
- Faculty Affairs