WSSU adopts clear bag policy
To best ensure the safety of the campus community and the public, and to expedite entry into venues, Winston-Salem State University (WSSU) has adopted a clear bag policy.
The policy limits the size and type of bags that may be brought into venues at WSSU and will first be implemented at the football home opener at Bowman Gray Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 14, against Catawba. The policy is similar to those that have been adopted recently for large athletic venues across North Carolina, including Wake Forest University and North Carolina A&T State University.
Approved items include:
- Bags that are clear plastic vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 inches in height, by 6 inches in depth and 12 inches in width.
- Seat cushions no larger than 16 inches wide.
- One gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:
- Purses larger than a clutch bag
- Backpacks, cinch bags or fanny packs
- Computer bags/camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.
The policy also will be in effect for basketball games at the C.E. Gaines Center.
Starting on Monday, Sept. 9, clear logoed bags will be available for purchase at WSSU’s Ticket Box Office in the Albert H. Anderson Conference Center. Bags also will be available for purchase prior to the Catawba game, with locations near each gate.
Exceptions will be granted for medically necessary items, working personnel and media. However, all attendees are strongly encouraged to place items in a clear bag for easier entry. These exceptions will enter through designated gates and be subject to screening and/or bag inspections.
WSSU also reserves the right to modify the policy for any on-campus event.
Clear Bag Policy (PDF)