RAMS Career Closet
The Career Closet provides students with business and casual clothes for interviews, career fairs, formal events, or any career-related functions, both on and off campus. The Career Closet is available to all Winston-Salem State University students seeking to expand their professional wardrobe. These items, donated by faculty, staff, alumni, families, community members or businesses, enable students to make the best possible impression and feel confident during a professional meeting.
Donald Julian Reeves (DJR) Student Activities Center, 2nd floor, Room 202
Monday – Friday: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. during the academic year.
Hours may vary during the breaks.
The Closet is by appointment only throughout the summer and winter breaks. Call 336-750-3240 to schedule a visit during the breaks or submit a meeting request in WSSU CAREERLink.
Students Seeking Professional Attire
Students are encouraged to stop by the Student Resource Center to look through the many options at a pace that best suits them in a zero pressure, judgment free zone. Need help finding items? Staff are available to assist. Items are available on a first-come, first-served basis and specific items may not be available. Common clothing closet items include:
- Dress Pants
- Dress Shirts
- Professional Footwear
- Neck Ties
Check out our Dress for Success page and CareerSpots videos.
Please visit the following links to gain more information related to your professional attire needs!
- Complete the Student Resource Center User Form ("Register now!" QR code below).
Student Resource Center Information
- Participate in a mandatory orientation and receive your punch card.
- Bring your student ID when visiting the Career Closet for verification. Currently enrolled WSSU students can take up to 4 individual apparel items (i.e., 1 pants, 3 ties and 1 shirt or 2 blouses, 1 dress and a of pair shoes) per semester or 1 suit during an academic year. The clothes you take are yours to keep, free of charge. The Career Closet is staffed by WSSU student workers and volunteers, during regular hours of operation.
We encourage you to review the Clothing Closet guidelines prior to your visit to ensure a smooth and positive experience. Our staff can answer any questions you have once you arrive.
The guidelines are as follows:
- One visit per month (that’s five visits per semester)
- Visitors can select up to four items to keep per visit
- Visitors can try on items in our dressing rooms, which include full-length mirrors
- Student Resource Center staff will help assist all visitors
- Visitors can take their time, there is no time limit per visit or pressure
- Visitors should not put the clothes away; instead, they should return them to the designated return area located in the Career Closet
- Career Closet staff will put the clothes away to ensure the closet is properly organized and neat
- When done, visitors must stop by the front desk to check out
Appropriate items for donation include business suits, blazers, dress shirts, blouses, professional slacks, skirts, and ties. Items need to be appropriate for career fairs, interviews, and professional work environments. All donation items must be cleaned appropriately. Items with any damages and items without sizes clearly labeled will not be accepted. Damaged or dirty clothing items and items without sizes clearly labeled will not be accepted.
Monday - Friday, 12:00pm - 4:00pm during the academic year.
Donations may be dropped off at the Student Resource Center, which is in the Donald Julian Reeves Center, Room 202. The dates and times for delivery are Monday through Friday, 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm. We will also make available a Notification of Gift Form for tax purposes, as well as a Career Closet valuation guide.
Winston-Salem State University
Student Resource Center
Thompson Student Service Center, G-06
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Donations are tax deductible, and a receipt will be provided upon request. The donor is responsible for determining the value of their donation.
While the Career Closet relies primarily on donations of appropriate clothing, financial support enables the Career Development Services department to purchase items that are in greatest demand. Monetary donations will be managed through CDS Career Closet Foundation.
To donate, please visit WSSU Donate Now page, click on Donate Now, go to Department-Operations tab and select “CDS Career Closet”.
For information regarding our closet and how you can contribute, please contact Mr. Linwood Skinner or Ms. Starasia Mirvil at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-750-3240. Thank for your contributions!