900.12 - Retirement of Athletic Jerseys
University Group Policy #900.12
I. Policy Statement
The retirement of a student-athlete's jersey is one of the highest athletic honors that the University can bestow on a student-athlete. Although the honor is based primarily on athletic ability, it also recognizes that the student-athlete is a member of an academic community and has the accompanying responsibilities incumbent with that membership.
Consequently, such an honor shall reflect the participatory as well as the non-participatory activities of the student-athlete. That is, the recipient shall be a model for future student-athletes both on and off the field/floor.
The following list of criteria is not meant to be all inclusive, although items A and B shall be considered as basic requirements for all candidates. Additional criteria could be considered if they seem substantive and appropriate. It is not expected that a nominee will have met every one of the criteria listed. It is expected, however, that any limitations in one area shall be counterbalanced by superiority in other areas. The criteria to be considered are as follows:
- Be the recipient of a baccalaureate degree and be removed from the university normally ten (10) years; and
- Possess a positive public image; and
- Current member of the Clarence E. “Big House” Gaines Hall of Fame
- Be named to a nationally recognized All-America Team, such as Kodak, A.P., U.P.I., etc.
- Hold some type of All-Conference Honors for at least two (2) years
- Be named All-Conference "Player of the Year”
- Be a statistical leader in a recognized category as maintained by the Conference in that sport
- Be a statistical leader in a recognized category as maintained by the University in that sport
- The Coach, based on these guidelines, shall submit in writing with supporting documentation a nomination to the Athletics Director.
- The Athletics Director shall refer the nomination with a written recommendation to the Intercollegiate Athletics Advisory Committee;
- The recommendation is given to the Chancellor, who shall have final approval of all such honors.
- The honor shall be the retirement of the student-athlete's jersey and his/her number. A coach may not reissue the respective number.
- It is anticipated that at the retirement of the student-athlete's jersey, an award ceremony shall be held and the jersey shall be appropriately displayed with some sign of identification.
This policy is applicable to retirement of athletic jerseys.
Responsible Division: Athletic Director
Authority: Board of Trustees
- Adopted September 16, 2016