Are you and WSSU Jobs Corps Scholars Program a great match?
- Are you between the ages of 16-24?
- Do you live in Forsyth, Davidson, Davie, Guilford, or Wake county?
- Do you have barriers to education and employment?
- Would you like to take free college courses to earn a certification in one of the areas listed below?
- Computer Programming
- Law Enforcement
- Legal Services
- Web Applications
WSSU Job Corps Scholars Program May Be Right for You!
This free two-year program can be life-changing for you. You will receive the tools you need to carve out an interesting and exciting future for yourself.
During your first year in the program, you will:
- Complete free college courses.
- Receive financial, academic, emotional, and career support.
- Earn a 12-month career-preparedness certificate in the field that you choose.
During the second year of the program, you will:
- Secure a job, enter an apprenticeship program, join the Armed Services, continue education.
- Get assistance to maintain employment, apprenticeship, military service, etc.
- Enjoy ongoing career support and guidance.
The WSSU Job Corps Scholars Program ProvidesFinancial Support and Assistance
- Tuition support
- Mileage reimbursement
- Childcare and transportation assistance
Excellent Career Development Services
You will have access to tutoring, career counseling, career placement, and a large array of Career Development Workshops such as:
- Mentor Magic! (Keys to Building Professional Relationships)
- Resume Writing 101
- Slam Dunk the Interview!
- Empowering Brand YOU!
- Time is Money! (Time Management Tips and Tricks)
- Securing (and Managing) the Bag!
Begin A New Chapter of Your Life: Fill Out Your Interest Form Today
- Submit your Interest Form today.
- A Job Scholars Counselor will contact you within 24-48 hours and guide you through the application process
Classes Begin This Summer!
- People who met the criteria can enroll as early as April 2021.
- The first group of students will start classes in summer 2021.
- Fall dates will be announced soon.
A person is eligible for Job Corps if he or she meets the following criteria:
- Is a legal S. resident; lawfully admitted permanent resident alien, refugee, asylee, or parolee, or other immigrant who has been authorized by the U.S. attorney general to work in the United States; or resident of a U.S. territory
- Meets low-income criteria
- Is in need of additional technical training, education, counseling, or related assistance to complete schoolwork or to find and keep a job
- Has signed consent from a parent or guardian if he or she is a minor
- Has a childcare plan if he or she is the parent of a dependent child
- Does not exhibit behavioral problems that could keep him, her, or others from experiencing Job Corps' full benefits
- Does not require any face-to-face court or institutional supervision or court-imposed fines while enrolled in Job Corps
- Does not use drugs illegally
- $50 Application fee **Covered by the Grant
- Undergraduate Application
- Official SAT or ACT score reports - waived for 2021*
- Official High School Transcript
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the UNC Board of Governors waived the standardized testing requirements for the 2021 application. While you may submit existing scores, they will not impact the review of your application
- GPA: 0, 2.5 – 2.8, waitlisted
Minimum Course Requirements
As part of the UNC system, WSSU requires that applicants successfully complete these courses:
- Four units of English
- Four units of Math (Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and an Advanced Math)
- Three units of Science (Biological Science, Physical Science, and a Science with a Lab)
- Two units of Social Studies, including one unit of U.S. History
- Two units of Foreign Language (same)
This workforce product was funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration. The product was created by the recipient and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. The Department of Labor makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurance of any kind, expressed or implied, with respect to such information, including any information on linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability, or ownership. This product is copyrighted by the institution that created it.
The WSSU-JCSP application will require:
- Your most recent unofficial transcript
- Documents that support your eligibility
- A WSSU-JCSP Counselor can assist you with all required documentation as needed
Take the next life-changing step. Complete your JCSP interest form today!