The Winston-Salem State University Chancellor’s Ambassadors is a student volunteer organization and leadership development program housed in the Office of the Chancellor. The Chancellor's Ambassadors represent WSSU in the community and at university events, in an effort build and foster relationships between students, alumni and the community.
Selected student leaders volunteer their time to represent the Winston-Salem State University and the Chancellor and First Lady at a variety of events and activities, showcasing what it means to be a Ram to some of its most important guests.
Ambassadors enjoy a series of activities that give them the opportunity to learn and practice networking skills, business etiquette, leadership, community engagement, and personal communication and presentation skills as they help communicate the mission and culture of the school.
Chancellor’s Ambassadors serve as official hosts and goodwill ambassadors. They seek to serve the Chancellor at all functions where it is desired to have students welcome guests and visitors to campus.
Ambassadors benefit from leadership training and experience, professional and employment references, opportunities to meet and interact with local and state-wide employers, legislators, donors, and friends of the University; development of career readiness skills, including etiquette, teamwork, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Professional development for student volunteers to become future alumni leaders
- Opportunity to promote goodwill
- Access to important campus supporters by hosting special events and programs
- Opportunity to display personal and professional character among all those with whom the Chancellor’s Ambassadors interact
- Community and alumni networking opportunities
- Opportunity to increase campus visibility through WSSU publications and media opportunities
- Customized blazer and polo shirt
- Attend a specified number of volunteer events on behalf of the Chancellor’s office
- Attend and complete the required number of leadership and professional development training
- Attend an annual retreat for the Chancellor’s Ambassadors
- Follow the Ambassadors Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct
The selection process is extremely competitive for these prestigious ambassadorships. Approximately 10 ambassadors will be selected each year.
Chancellor Ambassadors apply for the position and are then selected after an interview process with a panel of WSSU faculty, staff and alumni.
Recruitment will typically occur each spring semester and each ambassador must commit to at least one academic year. Ambassadors remain in their roles until graduation unless they choose to resign from the program voluntarily or violate program policies.
- Ambassador must have completed at least one full semester at WSSU and have at least two semesters before graduation.
- Ambassador must maintain good standing status and have no disciplinary actions (past or pending).
- Ambassador must have and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Each Chancellor’s Ambassador must work a minimum of three (3) Chancellor’s events per semester. NOTE: Requirement is subject to change upon dependence of Chancellor’s needs in accordance with his calendar.
Selection ProcessIn order to be selected as a Chancellor’s Ambassador, ALL of the following must be completed:
- Submit a completed application.
- Complete a 200 - 300 word essay of what it means to you to be a Ram
- Have two signed letters of recommendation written by a faculty or staff member. These letters must be signed by the person writing the recommendation letter
- Complete an interview with a panel comprised of faculty, staff, and alumni
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Must attend at least one information session (or attest to reviewing the recorded information session) to apply to become an ambassador
Desired Qualities of Applicants
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respond to requests in a timely and professional manner
- Interest in leadership development
- A desire to be a positive advocate of WSSU with donors, partners, alumni, students, faculty & staff, and in the community
- An ability to work with others as a team player
2021-2022 Application Period
This year, the inaugural group of Chancellor’s Ambassadors will be selected in the fall. To be considered, applicants must complete the electronic application and upload the required documents as outlined by 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 15, 2021. No late applications will be accepted and there will be no extensions.