Skip to main content

VA Education Benefits

Students eligible to receive VA education benefits must be certified through the Veterans Affairs Office. Upon enrollment at Winston-Salem State University, students must make contact with the Veterans Affairs Coordinator either in person, by telephone, or via email of your status. In addition to applying to the VA, each student must complete the a VA Enrollment Certification Request form, which becomes a part of the student's permanent file at Winston-Salem State University's Veterans Affairs office.

Eligibility for VA Student Benefits

You may be eligible for VA benefits if you are a:

  • Veteran or Veteran's dependent
  • Surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased Veteran
  • Uniformed service member
  • Present or former reservist or National Guard member

Applying For VA Benefits

You can apply online at How to Apply for the GI Bill and Related Benefits. To retrieve a PDF version of the application go to VA Education Benefits (VA For 22-1990) application.

Conditions For Students Receiving VA Benefits

Students eligible for VA benefits must agree to notify the Veterans Affairs

Coordinator any time there is a change in status due to:

  • Increase or decrease in semester hours
  • Withdrawal from the university
  • Selected Reserve status
  • Change in legal name or mailing address

To register with Veterans Affairs at Winston-Salem State University please communicate with us via Failure to inform the Veterans Affairs coordinator of your current status, will result in a delay in processing your claim for benefits.

Students receiving aid under the Office of Veteran Affairs should visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs website frequently for the latest information regarding benefit.

Other Education Programs Under Veterans Affairs

E-Benefits for Veterans, Retirees, Service Members and their Families