The purpose of this organization shall be:We, the Student Government Association (SGA), exists to serve the students of Winston-Salem State University (WSSU), as both a body of governance and advocacy. This organization will encourage cooperation that inspires positive change within the university and its constituents, while upholding the values and mission of WSSU. The focus of the Student Government Association is to advocate for the Winston-Salem State University student body by promoting and creating opportunities for students to engage with different components of the university. The SGA will help students use their voice and other outlets to express and establish agency.
It is the mission of the Student Government Association to establish a sound governing body of elected individuals to serve the best interests of the collective student body. By taking an oath to efficiently and effectively serve and represent students, we will do this through maintaining strong relationships with the university administration, faculty/staff and the surrounding community while also re-establishing rapport with the students.
The Student Government Association envisions a campus where students are eager and expectant to participate in key components of our universities structure. We envision an association that provides support to over 5,000 students as they use their agency to design an experience around their interests and passions, and govern over the policies that affect the student experience.
SGA Royal Court
The Royal Court seeks to uphold the vision of Winston-Salem State University as ambassadors for the institution by uplifting and empowering the campus and surrounding communities through service, outreach and programming.
Every year during Homecoming Week there is a night of pageantry when the new Miss and Mister WSSU are crowned. Campus royalty and their royal court serve as ambassadors for SGA and for the university as a whole.
Royal Court Advisor: Theo Chunn - firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Student Senate is the central legislative branch in representation of our student body.
- We are the principal advocate for the interests of the student body as a whole to the WSSU administration and faculty.
- We ensure effective and strategic student participation in the faculty governance system. The Senate is a central forum for common dialogue within the student community, and for the development of legislation to actualize goals of the student body.
To establish a two-way communication system between the students of WSSU and its governing powers. This communication includes, but is not limited to, the public review of senate business such as legislature and meeting minutes, open senate meetings, and student surveys, at the chairperson's discretion. The true vision of the student senate is to become an effective governing body which holds the well-being of Winston-Salem State University's students at its core functionality.
SGA Members Are Charged With:
- Gathering and expressing student opinions
- Representing student views
- Addressing student concerns
- Keeping students informed about information that impacts their undergraduate experience
- Governing Student Senate
- Equitably distributing student grant funds
- Working with other student groups to program college-wide events designed to foster cohesiveness within the entire university community