Mission and University Values
WSSU is a bold and energetic institution that fosters the creative thinking, analytical problem-solving, and depth of character needed to transform yourself and your world. Rooted in a liberal education, WSSU’s curriculum prepares students to be thought leaders who have the skills and knowledge needed to develop innovative solutions to complex problems.
As a historically Black college and university guided by the motto “Enter to Learn, Depart to Serve,” Winston-Salem State University cultivates the genius of interconnected learners in bachelor’s, master’s, and professional doctoral programs through academic excellence, transformative scholarship, and impactful engagement to produce equity-minded, highly competent, and productive citizens. Winston-Salem State University aims to enhance the lives and livelihoods of its students, the people of North Carolina, and persons around the world.
Winston-Salem State University, a comprehensive public institution, is a premier national leader in advancing equity and upward mobility where we unleash the genius of individuals and empower them to transform the world.
- “Ramily Matters” - We care, serve, and inspire.
- Be Fair - We are impartial and create unique opportunities for all to succeed.
- Bring Your ‘A’ Game - We exceed expectations because excellence is our standard.
- Do the Right Thing - We act consistently with honor.
- Create the Future - We challenge norms by generating fresh ideas and inventing new realities.