The C.G. O'Kelly Library supports and enhances all Winston-Salem State University programs through its relevant, diverse, and current local collection and through resources beyond the library via inter-library loan and various electronic services. Information requirements of distant users are met. The staff instructs and assists users with all aspects of library services to foster and instill life-long learning. A readily accessible computerized index is maintained of all library holdings and other appropriate records. Sufficient auxiliary services and equipment are maintained at all times to respond to user needs. The staff strives to preserve resources and provide for archiving of university records and related documents.
The C.G. O'Kelly Library is named for Cadd Grant O'Kelly, second president of Slater Industrial Academy. Improved library services and expansion of the curriculum were the two top priorities of Kenneth R. Williams when he became president of WSSU in 1961. Thus, in 1967, a new library was constructed to replace the existing facilities on the second floor of the Blair Hall administration building. O'Kelly Library received an addition and renovation in 1971, and in 1990, another addition was made to the western part of the building.
The O'Kelly Library has many interesting items to offer.
- Books - 200,000+ books on our shelves for checkout, including textbooks.
- Databases - Over 300 electronic databases, containing journal, magazine and newspaper articles, as well as ebooks.
- DVDs - 5,000+ DVD's available for 3 day checkout, including faculty/educational DVDs.
- eBooks - over 270,000 electronic books searchable by title.
- eJournals - nearly 80,000 electronic journals searchable by title.
- Journals - nearly 350 paper journals for use within the library.
- Microforms - over 200 microforms and 2 readers to view content
- Archives -
- 1500+ books in the rare and special collection
- 100 linear feet of artifacts
- 600 linear feet of archival collections, including:
- Manuscripts related to the history of the University and the surrounding community
- Images, videos and audio
- Equipment - over 200 Dell desktop computer stations, several scanners, print stations, a copy machine and items for checkout and use within the library.
- Interlibrary Loan - if we don't have it, we may be able to acquire it for you.
- Media Production Lab - geared towards students who have more advanced audio-visual projects to work on.
- Study Rooms - 9 group study/meeting rooms and 13 individual study rooms.
Library Operation Information
Library Contact Information
601 S Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
227 C.G. O'Kelly Library
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
Main Office: 336-750-2442
Toll free: 877-269-8813
Info Commons: 336-750-2445
Media Desk: 336-750-2451
Production Lab: 336-750-8689