Skip to main content

Student Accounts

This organizational unit provides centralized receipting and coordinates all receipting for the University. Our offices strive to provide polite and professional service to all customers. We make every effort to utilize best business practices to provide efficient and effective service while maintaining compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations as it pertains to billing, receipting and collecting on accounts.

The Cashier's Office is responsible for the receipting and depositing of all University related funds. The objective of the Cashier's Office is to insure that monies due to or belonging to the State are received and accounted for in a manner which assures a complete and adequate record of each transaction and assures monetary control over the receiving function. The operation of this office is designed to aid the University in handling receipts as required by statute and to supply necessary information to the State Treasurer and the State Disbursing Officer.

Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the information within the student account pages and check it frequently for updated information. It is our staff’s commitment to provide each student with an excellent customer service experience. Please do not hesitate to contact us or stop by Student Accounts (Thompson - Suite 200) for further assistance. We look forward to working with you!

Payment Methods

There are several acceptable forms of payment at Winston-Salem State University depending on your personal convenience and physical access to the university. However, the fastest and most convenient way is to click Pay Online Now and use your debit/credit card to pay for any outstanding account balances. Other methods:

  • Certified Funds: Make cashier's check, money order, or other certified funds payable Winston-Salem State University. Please include your full name, student ID number, current address, and phone number.
  • Debit/Credit Card: You may use VISA, or Mastercard to pay your fees and/or any previous balance. You can either pay online or in person at the Cashier's window.
  • Cash: You must make cash payments at the Cashier's window. Do not mail cash.
  • No personal checks

To pay in person go to the Cashier's window in Thompson Center 200. Cashier Office hours 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Methods unique to the Cashier’s Office are as follows:

  • For RamCard purchases, Ram One accounts, and transcripts we accept cash only.
  • For payment on accounts we accept only cash, certified bank checks, credit or debit card.
  • For Department Fees (i.e. Nursing) we accept cash or checks.

Tuition and Fees

The UNC Board of Governors is authorized to set tuition and fee rates not inconsistent with actions of the NC General Assembly, and presently, the NC General Assembly is still in session. In the event that the NC General Assembly approves rates for tuition that are different from those approved by the Board, students will receive a revised statement of charges due.

Winston-Salem State University is a publicly supported institution. Tuition payments and other required student fees meet only a part of the total cost of the education of students enrolled. On the average, for each full-time student enrolled in an institution of the University of North Carolina, the State of North Carolina appropriated $12,868 per year in public funds to support the educational programs offered. Specific information, including maximum allowable increases in tuition and fees per academic year by UNC campuses is available at the University of North Carolina website. Students and parents can also find detailed information concerning the total cost of college at College Foundation of North Carolina website.



If you withdraw officially from the University, your refund is subject to the University Withdrawal Policy. If the receipts of your Financial Aid (scholarships, loans, grants, etc.) results in a credit balance, a refund check in your name will automatically be mailed to you, unless you have signed up for direct deposit.

Note: TITLE IV aid (Stafford, PLUS, PELL, SEOG, etc.) can be credited towards institutional charges and Non-institutional charges such as finance charges, late payments fees, etc. Please note a TITLE IV Authorization form must be signed to cover miscellaneous charges. Students receiving Title IV aid who withdraw completely may be billed for remaining WSSU account balance resulting from the mandatory return of funds to the U.S. government. Contact Financial Aid for more details.

WSSU Bank Mobile -  contract and handbook

*Overpayment or cancellation of a charge will result in a refund being processed for you.

We have partnered with BankMobile to deliver your financial aid refund. For more information visit BankMobile website.  

Billing & Payment (Validation)

For all registered students, the first bill will be generated at least 21 days prior to the start of the term, subsequently, on or around the 15th of each month. On the monthly statement date, each student and his/her authorized user(s) will be sent an email notification that a new statement is available online.

Electronic billing (E-Bill) is Winston-Salem State University's (WSSU) official method of billing. WSSU is GREEN! A link to the current billing statement will be sent to the student's official WSSU email address on each bill date. If the student has set up authorized users, an additional email will be sent to this address.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or FERPA was enacted in 1974 by the U.S. Congress to ensure students' right to inspect their own records and have some control over the disclosure of their personal records.

FERPA states that personally identifiable information under the control of an educational institution can only be provided to that student or, in certain cases, the parents or legal guardians without prior consent. Once a student reaches the age of 18 or enters a postsecondary institution, a school is prohibited from disclosing to the parent without the student’s consent. However, if the parent can demonstrate that the student is a financial dependent (via Internal Revenue Service records) the institution may opt to disclose the information.

The following are examples of personally identifiable information: ID numbers, financial transactions (i.e. student bills and account charges), enrollment information and transcripts (i.e. grades).